What is this weird floating plant growing with my Hygro?

A

Anonymous

Just checked out some pictures. I think that's it ! It came in on some plants and I was picking it out of fame moss for a while when a little would develop . This must of been a little bit that got caught up and just kept growing on top of H. Angustifolia. Thanks Daniel!

I think it looks pretty cool in this form. I may let it float and grow a bit.

Definitely looks like Riccia. I had that stuff tied down on my driftwood before, and it looked nice...for a while... but because I didn't keep it trimmed, the lower levels of the stuff started to die off because it wasn't getting enough light, to the point where it ended up just "tearing away" from the drifwood... you can see how it looks in one of my older videos of how my 15 gallon tank used to look...hehehe

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/7XuXzudPdSU" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

I would personally just leave it floating... people do like to tie it down onto rocks or driftwood, to make a nice foreground covering plant... but as it grows, it tends to float back up to the surface, as more of it starts to grow.

Really beautiful plant, if you can keep it tamed. I'm too lazy for that. =P

cichlid-gal

I have some ricca also. It started as a small speck on a piece of wood near the surface of my tank. It's now about 6 inches in diameter. It is floating and quite lovely. As always Chad, your tank looks amazing and Poke the video is beautiful.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Donna! I like this Hygro. So does my Apistogramma. This the second time I found a mystery plant established on the tops of plants growing near the surface.

Poke, If I remember correctly I got some Riccia last winter from you attached to a rock. I put it into my 30 gallon. It did the same thing. It looked really nice for the longest time then detached. I eventually removed it because it got all over everything. I think this floating version looks pretty neat.

Oh wow I totally forgot about that! That's right, i think I gave that to you when you gave me those killies and the rummynose tetras hehehe. Yeah that stuff gets everywhere. Luckily, it's not as hard to get rid of, like duckweed. Hahahaha

Thank you, Donna!! :)

A

Anonymous

I can't watch Angelo's videos. They put me to sleep. It's the soft music, slow transitions, shimmering lighting. It's instant lala land for me ZzzZzzZzz. :D

Love the video Poke!

:D Thanks fishNAbowl! I do like how my videos have that "soothing" and "relaxing" feel to them... hehehe...

I wonder what would happen, if you made a cascading "waterfall" of that riccia stuff... if that's even possible... y'know? :D TRY EEEET!!!