what is this fish?

Fish Addict

Somebody brang it into a petco that a friend of mine works at and it is a VERY sweet, interactive, gently, and well ugly fish. I will refer to him as a he because well I think he acts like a he then a she but I really do not know the sex.

He was brought into petco in a rubbermaid tub and left next to the bagging desk. We believe he wasn't in a good healthy tank because he was paper white when he was brought in but he is regaining his orange color. He has some type of black illness all over his upper back and head that clearly isn't just coloration. I will probaly end up setting up my 100 just for him I just want to know what he is.

I am guessing he is some sort of hybrid.

Fish Addict

Oh no duh lol.... I was trying to figure out what type of South American cichlid it was. I raised Mozambique tilapia for years lol. Thanks for the help guys. What tank size would you say he needs?

Fish Addict

Ok in my mind a 100 is large because it is 18" wide which is the smallest dimension would that be ok for him and maybe another?

Madness

Staff member
That should be fine. And I know beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but Tilapia are ugly a** fish. And far more dirty than a Oscar.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
madness said:
That should be fine. And I know beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but Tilapia are ugly a** fish. And far more dirty than a Oscar.
Hey that offends me! My Oscar is way dirtier than a Tilapia!

Fish Addict

I loved my tilapia when I was nreeding them in aquaponics I will pick him up next week because he needs a good caring home... Seriously I can't resist helping a living creature if I have the ability to

I talked to my friend today and I was wrong the fish was not left in a 16" long rubbermaid tub outside the door to the store... We measured him today and he is 13"..... I sickens me to know people care that little for another life I mean it breathes and feels pain just .... sorry just had to vent alittle bit

Fish Addict

Yeah it is interesting but a little to sensitive to water parameters compared to tilapia they are dirty but if you stick a few bean plants in the hob filter and grow them out the window the nitrates stay low