What color to paint back of tank?

anderson_p_r

So I'm planning on painting the back of my upcoming 45g tall aquarium.  The stand, trim,hood, and sand will all be black so I was just figuring on painting the back black.  But then I realized that it could be really difficult to see darker fish, which I plan on keeping.  First thought was to go opposite and use white, but I figured that would be way to off.  I just don't feel the blue I commonly see looks right.  

It will be a heavily planted tank with suspended manzanita wood and most likely spotted climbing perch.  I really like the technique used in the video below and will most likely use the acrylic hobby paint in the video.  Mainly curious what peoples thoughts are on background color in relation to tank inhabitants?

*Sorry, I did forget the video, here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWAl5TpzY0

A

Anonymous

I was going through the gallery and ran into this tank. Maybe this color?
http://www.wafishbox.com/gallery/Member-s-Full-Tank-Shots/cichlid-gals-125G-African-Victorian-Community-Tank-pic_193.htm

I just did this to my 12 gallon rimless tank:
I basically used Window Tinting, it was really easy to apply. I just had to cut it to size, and apply with water (don't even bother buying the "spray" they sell... water works wonders!)

I love it because it's not permanent, and I can switch it to whatever color I want it to be (if I ever want to change it in the future!) there are lots of colors to choose from, as well! :D

Gizmo

I've heard a mirror behind the tank/attached to the back of the tank adds a lot of depth.

Denizaari

I like the window tint idea from Poke. It seems pretty inexpensive with great results. Probably turn out better than paint...

Denizaari: Thanks! Like what Gizmo mentioned about the mirror effect, that was another thing I wanted to achieve. it's definitely reflective to an extent, but still lets some light pass through. It's great! :D

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I have a black background (not painted) and really like the effect on my 210g. The tank is 24" deep and is a pretty big piece of furniture in our living room. With the black background it does not appear as big. So yes black has a slimming effect on wide fishtanks.  :D 

Will I am

I use a paint brush and Rustolleum. This process is very long but you can actually scrape the paint off if you don't like it. Probably take a good 2 days to paint. Once you get a good layer on, you'll have to let it dry over night, and apply another coat in the morning. I put a light in the tank on the 2nd day so I can see where the light is coming from.

To add to Will I am's post:

If you do end up the painted path...

Many thin layers will be the best! Don't do a thick layer, as that will end up looking ugly. I believe DMD123, was the one who told me that, when I was deciding to paint my 36 Gallon Bowfront tank that's in my fireplace :) meeeeeeeemoriiiiiiiiies!!!

Betty

Staff member
You could paint a few pieces of poster board in different colors and try that on the tank first, to see what color works best before you permanently paint the tank.

I didn't see the video -- did you forget the link?  

I use acrylic hobby paint from the craft store or craft section of walmart to paint some of my smaller tanks.  I use a foam brush or roller or I sponge paint, sometimes with two or three different colors.  It's fairly easy to remove as well.  I just get it good and wet and it scrapes right off.  (I've only done this with smaller tanks.)

Lamental Jester

If you painted it camouflage, would it make the tank invisible and the fish look like they are flying in mid air?
think_zpsc8b0038e.jpg

Great mysteries of the universe!

I just found some nice thick poster board from the craft store on 2 of my tanks. I painted it a nice grey/blue for one, and black for the other. Personally I think the bright blue backgrounds (while making plants look great) are too distracting and a grey background too boring, so the light grey/blue was a good compromise between the two.

Here's an older picture of the grey/blue:

2LrDUhp.jpg

anderson_p_r

That does look like a nice combo there. I agree on the distracting vs. boring. My wife doesn't like the blue I chose. I think I'll buy a tube of black paint and test different mixtures. We're looking for dark, but not black. The paint is a very dark navy, but with the light on it the color looks way...less...dark..than I thought it was going to.

anderson_p_r

Follow up here, I found a black at Joann's to mix with the blue and it looks just like I wanted. Problem I ran into was a shortage of those colors. Apparently they only had two tubes of blue and one black and I bought them. 2 weeks to get more in. Luckily some family in Renton was able to pick up 2 of each color from the Tukwila store and mail them to me. Tried to purchase online, but one color is only available in stores.

I'll put up some photos once it's all done.

Lesson to be learned: If you're going to paint your tank, make sure you acquire more paint than you think you'll need before you start.