Free Wet/dry divided 20 gal long

John58Ford

I would like to offer my divided 20 long to any members here interested in trying something different. I'm not planning to publicly list this tank and can sit on it for a while, would love to see what someone what can dream up for it.
20210129_185910_HDR~2.jpg
No plants in it currently, just some carpeted hair algae (was an experiment, I liked it, only in this used case though lol)

I housed an injured northwestern garter in it for ~5 years, and started my endler breeding adventure with it. The floor of the tank is divided diagonally, 5" deep, 60/40. Just under 4 gallons of water space on the smaller side and just under 6 gallons on the bigger side. Depending on critter and age, either side could hold water. When used either way obviously it's much lighter than a full 20 long so placement is very flexible, it lived mostly on a glass wine rack when not in the big tank rack.

It has a very modified small filter that can handle tons of bioload shock when required. I can keep the media wet for a while. Folding screen top, some random reptile oriented hides/bowls, reptile heating pad and the in tank nano heater. Has a photo realistic background we originally made as a joke (I once tried to grow terrestrials on the dry side but failed) but ended up liking in the long run.

I was thinking to do northwestern tree frog/tadpoles (just a couple) after the snake passed but don't have room for the tank in my new layout in the fish room (now also turning music studio for my boys).

Any interest or questions, ask away.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I think it might be too big for what I was planning for my classroom.

I currently have a 29g tank with a very small buttekoferi and live plants.

I also want to do a terrarium style tank but to raise Venus fly traps in it. Haha I want to spark some imagination in my room.

I also currently have 25 plants in there ( cacti, succulents, tropical house plants, and lemon tree starts).

Here’s a question for you…. What type of small reptiles might work in your tank?

My son wants me to do anoles in my classroom too, but if I remember correctly, they don’t need a large volume of water like that.

John58Ford

I think it might be too big for what I was planning for my classroom.

I currently have a 29g tank with a very small buttekoferi and live plants.

I also want to do a terrarium style tank but to raise Venus fly traps in it. Haha I want to spark some imagination in my room.

I also currently have 25 plants in there ( cacti, succulents, tropical house plants, and lemon tree starts).

Here’s a question for you…. What type of small reptiles might work in your tank?

My son wants me to do anoles in my classroom too, but if I remember correctly, they don’t need a large volume of water like that.
Small frog species like the chorus frog (pnw tree frog), small snake species like Pacific garter or corn snake (or any other high humidity snake under 3') mud turtle or any other small species of turtle that are legal for trade here. A whole host of large bugs could be cool too. I think there are some semi aquatic monitors and lizards but I don't know which smaller species would qualify.

I think the tank is too small for water primary pet like a salamander, and if doing frogs from egg state through tadpoles and so on I would be careful to hatch only a few as tadpoles are very very dirty critters as far as water quality goes.

When my snake was smaller we had the water side filled with rocks on the border forming a sloping beach, as he got larger we removed rocks until it was pretty much just a layer at the bottom. There are ways to lay out the tank to have more/less water, you just need to see the goal to get there. When we had the beach in there we were able to grow lucky bamboo, with just a layer of river rock I grew crypt fine but every emersed attempt I made would get tipped over by the snake. He also snuggled any dirted plants to death when I tried them on the dry side. Smaller animals like dart frogs would probably be best to build a full biotope this size.

hyp3rcrav3

Fire Belly Newts or red spotted newts would do well. They would likely need a ramp to crawl onto land but with damp hidey holes they often will. My tank was originally built for newts but the fire belly frogs fell into my lap.