Weird red diatom algae

LuminousAphid

Hey so stuff similar to this has always kind of plagued this tank, I think due to the fact that I don't clean it enough, but recently it has gotten really out of hand. I don't know if this is something new, or even a bacteria that uses the previous diatoms as a substrate... before I scraped the glass there were some spots of it on the front that really looked like a bacteria bloom in a petri dish. Here is a video of what it looks like, you can see it especially well near the end on the plastic part of the sponge filter. It's reddish but almost maroon colored and seems to grow everywhere in this tank, but no where else. I think high light is also responsible, which is why I have started floating riccia in there, it should give the plants some shade in no time.
edit; sorry for the audio and for the sideways video, I am replacing it with music
[youtube]dr0PJ8nN784[/youtube]

KaraWolf

I feel like Ive always got that red stuff growing on my filter output overflow things. Reddish brown and slimey assumed it was normal since its only ever on a filter. As for the dark green...if you disturb it like try to toothbrush it off, it comes off in sheets and gpes flying around the tank right? But loves to cover everything. Got that junk in my new 5. No idea what it is, but I did a deep scrub to get rid of a massive diatom bloom and this stuff showed up afterwards. Hope someone knows what you've got!

LuminousAphid said:
Hey so stuff similar to this has always kind of plagued this tank, I think due to the fact that I don't clean it enough, but recently it has gotten really out of hand. I don't know if this is something new, or even a bacteria that uses the previous diatoms as a substrate... before I scraped the glass there were some spots of it on the front that really looked like a bacteria bloom in a petri dish. Here is a video of what it looks like, you can see it especially well near the end on the plastic part of the sponge filter. It's reddish but almost maroon colored and seems to grow everywhere in this tank, but no where else. I think high light is also responsible, which is why I have started floating riccia in there, it should give the plants some shade in no time.
edit; sorry for the audio and for the sideways video, I am replacing it with music
[youtube]dr0PJ8nN784[/youtube]
It sounds like diatoms to me (golden brown algae) Regular otos love that stuff and I usually put 2 or 3 in a tank to keep it under control. Try that. The otos will need algae to survive. I move mine from tank to tank as if I were a goat renter (local Pemco commercial)!!!

LuminousAphid

So this is still going on, and probably worse than ever... I am thinking about tearing down this tank and starting over, but what is a good way to clean the wood of this algae? Should I just let it dry out, put it in the dark for a couple weeks, or should I just scrub it off?

Is it possible that the food I am feeding contributes to the growth of this stuff? I tend to feed lots of the same brand of food, so I am wondering if something they use as a filler/binder might be contributing to feeding this stuff. Also I would bet the light coming in through the window really doesn't help, but it shouldn't be the only thing keeping this stuff going.
I hate this stuff.