Water chemistry in or near Issaquah?

anchlo_808

He all, I just recently move to Issaquah from Hawaii. I have a passion for planted tanks, my set-ups have generally been mid to high-tech set ups. In Hawaii, I never had issues with the tap water, no chlorine, relatively neutral, no heaters and no additives.

I don't have any test kits with me currently. Does anyone living in the area know what the basic make up of the water is around here? im in the Issaquah Highlands area.

Also, In all my set-ups I have used SAES, OTTS and AMANOS... are these readily available at the LFS?

Thanks!

dwarfpike

I want to say I remember the Issaquah Plateau is mostly limestone, so the water might be harder than normal for the area, depending on where the city gets it's supply some. If no one down there has tested, you could call Sierra up and they would probably know.

I frequently see amanos and ottos, sae's less so though.

anchlo_808

Will probably be using kitty litter substrate.... I've had much success with it... Anyone still using this method? Lol...

anchlo_808

Kitty litter works great! Kinda an older idea but still effective.... The problem is finding the right brand... It's called "Special Kitty" which was readily available at Walmart. Although not sure if the still carry it. Special Kitty is essentially clay, which does not affect PH.... It also contains no additives, and no chemicals... It's basically inert... But works wonders as a base 2-3" layer.... Simply top with fluorite... I also pressed home made fert balls or flourish tabs into the litter where the plants are. Roots grow like crazy and the cool thing is that the litter doesn't compact and is a couple bucks a bag!

A

Anonymous

Wow, in all my years I've never heard of people using kitty litter. Interesting concept, I am sure there is a few organic brands on the market.

anchlo_808

Yeah it was an idea that someone thought of at least ten years ago. It's cost effective for larger tanks where substrate can get pricy..

A

Anonymous

anchlo_808 said:
Yeah it was an idea that someone thought of at least ten years ago. It's cost effective for larger tanks where substrate can get pricy..
Yeah I hear you. I have about 230 pounds of fluorite gravel/sand and Eco complete in my 140 gallon, lol.

pbmax

As far as I understand it, kitty litter (the variety used in aquariums), safe-t-sort, turface, and soilmaster select are pretty much the same stuff - clay granules.