Video Length

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I thought it would be a good place to ask. What length of videos do you enjoy watching related to fish? Short ones so you can fit em in cause you're busy? 1 Hour long episodes do you can geek out for a while? I'm creating a new series on youtube. Trying to decide the format and length. Something like the fish room tours, they kind of have their own length depending on how large the fish room is. But content that I'm producing could be as short or as long as I want really.

Any thoughts and a look into how you consume videos would be really helpful.

Bob

It's all about the content. If the content is good the length doesnt really matter to me. The longer ones may take a couple watches to get through, but i'll still watch.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I prefer more than a minute and less than 30, but if madness does an update I'll watch the whole thing!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
For me 30 minutes is the max, since I sneak watch during work. Generally I like videos that are shorter from 3-5 minutes but will watch longer ones (15min) if it is an interesting diy or tank update.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I think perhaps I'll try having different length videos on the channel. Even for some of the new "Real Fish Talk" episodes their length is anywhere from 12 mins to 1 hour so far. I guess we'll see what people like. In that show we are trying some different formats too. From talking about just 1 topic, to talking about where ever the conversation takes us. I'll post up some sneak peak episodes here before they launch to gather some feedback.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
If anyone has the time. I'd love feedback on these videos. The first one we had a topic we wanted to discus. The second one was just us talking afterwards that turned into a new topic. Is either episode better? Are they both horrible etc? Would you watch it, have it in the background etc?

Hey Cory, watched both. I found both videos pretty good in a fish geek kind of way.

Ignore everything else I say, because I know nothing about making good videos.

I think each would be entertaining to newbies.

10-15 min is about my max for a "time filler" video that I am only partially interested in -- 5 minutes is better.

I'm in my 40s and have accepted the basic truth that I can only do one thing at a time, so I never play a video in "the background." I have music for that. I tried putting these videos in the background and had zero recollection of what was said and had to rewind.

Both videos were slow starters. I was kinda bored with how the stocking level video started. It was almost like Lamont was being evasive! Maybe planning out the first 2 minutes would help with that?

I was hooked into the stocking video by the fahaka puffer, and hooked into the other because who doesn't like tales of corporate greed ruining the world?

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the input Matt. It really does help us shape the content. I think the first video started out slow and evasive because Lamont doesn't have much time on camera. But by the second video which was later that night it seemed much more natural.

The first one was "forced" basically lets talk about this subject. The following video started out as just him and I talking, which turned into it's own episode.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Btw, I'm hoping the topics will be from beginner to advanced. Based on people posing questions to us.

They are private and I cant watch them.... But I have noticed that right around 11 minutes seems to be a good length. As far as the slow start in the first video maybe next time start by talking about something off topic and kinda roll into what ever topic you want to cover. Then edit the beginning out? People tend to be nervous at first but usually loosen up after a few changes in subject. But maybe I don't know what I'm talking about since I can't watch the vids.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I ended up scheduling the videos to go public again which makes them private. The first episode, without Lamont airs tomorrow morning.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Figured I'd put the first episode up. This is just me solo before I had Lamont join the show.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
To cover the wide array of times people can watch. I also have a quick tip series that usually lasts about a minute.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Very informative video Cory. Nice tips to help us all save money!

Good vid. I'd deffinately hang some sort of curtains or something on the walls to kill the echo though. Other than that great job.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah we are working on it. Got some posters hung. Might install an aquarium in the room. Also working on different mics etc. Should only get better as time goes on I think.

Ali

Yeah we are working on it. Got some posters hung. Might install an aquarium in the room. Also working on different mics etc. Should only get better as time goes on I think.

What room are you using for filming? I'm shocked there are any in your home/work that aren't already full of tanks! :rofl

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Ha! Thats why I bought this house. 1600 sqft house. Where currently there are no fish tanks. And 1500 sqft building behind the house for my fish room :D It's the smallest room of the 4 rooms in that building. In this video you can kinda see the layout of my fish house.

Betty

Staff member
I'll watch any length video if it holds my interest. If it's a long one, I sometimes skip forward to more interesting parts. One thing about those early vids is the audio isn't great -- I had to turn my volume way up, but it sounds like you are working on that.