Vacuum for sand

LeslieG

My 29-gallon long axolotl tank is on the bottom shelf of a stand, only a few inches above the floor, so my syphon gravel vacuum isn't working for it. It does slowly remove water from the tank, but without enough power to lift a bloodworm.

A python style vacuum won't work because I'm renting and can't modify the sink faucet.

I saw some battery powered gravel vacuums with very mixed reviews. Do you have any suggestions or recommendations? Is there another method?

I'll be vacuuming coarse sand, not looking to dig down into it, just swirling the vacuum above the sand daily to remove uneaten food and waste.

Thank you,
Leslie

LeslieG

You can try a submersible pump hooked up to a hose
I'm trying to envision this... Like a cannister vacuum cleaner, with the powerhead in my bucket, with the hose running into the tank? (I'm sorry if I'm a bit dense.)

L190

I'm thinking a submersible pump in the tank with a hose running out the tank into the sink. I tried what you mention in your previous post and it didn't work too well.
Usually the modification for a python is a sink adaptor you screw on.

Ali

I have one of those Eheim vacs pops mentioned. It came in a lot with a bunch of other fish stuff and I'm thrilled with my python so I don't use it.

Not sure where you're located but I'd be happy to sell it to you or trade.