UPDATED+Plant Layout PokeSephiroth's 20 Gallon Walstad Tank

So, with Lamental Jester's topic about starting out a walstad tank, I wanted to follow suit, and give it a go!
I recently got a 20 Gallon Long tank in a trade, and I'm planning on using that for my Walstad tank.

I have been mineralizing the soil for almost 2 weeks now...just a matter of time, before I can put it in the tank! Mmmm....mud...

What's next? Clay! Here's a question... I've noticed people using big chunks of clay in their soil, to the people who DO use clay, is it better if the clay chunks were big or small? Or does it really matter? I figured if they're smaller, then I could distribute the clay in the soil more evenly. I've rolled them into small balls, about the size of a green pea. I've seen people roll them into ping pong ball sized portions. So yes, does it matter?

Hopefully I'll put the soil in by next week. I can't wait!

CrazedAce

Did you handroll all those clay balls? lol
Hydroton is what I've seen people use for non-aquatic plants, mainly for holding water so they dont have to water as often. Not sure about aquarium use, maybe for anchoring or providing certain minerals in the water.

I love your plant grow room though, what is growing in the soil? Is it semi-aquatic, or just using the light in the room? Can't wait to get some of the frogbit and water lettuce though. :D

CrazedAce, I did indeed hand roll them. Hahahaha... Didn't take me too long to roll... less than an hour, while I was watching videos of of other Walstad tanks on youtube. :)

I'm growing catnip in two 2 liter bottles, and everything else is Holy Thai Basil (not to be confused with Thai Basil, or Spicy Basil) . . . . this stuff is hard to find in stores, even in Seattle...so, I figured I'd grow my own. Hahaha! :D

A

Anonymous

PokeSephiroth said:
Update!

Couldn't help it. I ended up putting the soil and sand in the tank. I'm so bad! :whistle: Pics to come.
:lol!:

Makes me want to rip out all 200+ pounds of flourite in my tank and dirt it! Lamentals planted walstad looks awesome. Now your setting up a dirted tank. I swear Im developing a love/hate relationship with these forums...

theChad, you should! I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my 10 gallon planted tank :) the long start process is what really kills it because of the whole preparing of soil... but once you're over that hump, you're good to go! :D

More Updates!

So... I was planning on just capping the soil for tonight, but ended up putting in the plants and filling it up with water. . . for some odd reason, I feel very "meh" with what I did... aquascape isn't what I was picturing it to be, but hopefully when the plants start growing in, it'll become closer to what I had pictured in my head. We'll see.

Sand along the front. I didn't bother adding sand along the edges, since they can't be seen. Soil soil soil... then clay clay clay!

This is basically all the hardscaping I had. Pretty sad. Took out the mopani wood from my 10 gallon, and placed it in here. Had some rocks... and that was that.

Aaaaand then the plants. Yeah. Water is cloudy, as I had expected. Hopefully that'll clear up in a couple days. Tomorrow, I will install the heater and filters (HoB and Canister) . . . but I won't turn on the filters just yet.

Couple things to note for myself:
More plants. MORE. MORE MORE MORE MORE.

pbmax

Looks great start; it wouldn't hurt to add more root feeders. :)

You might try a canister with the outlet below the water line to minimize surface agitation and therefore maximize CO2 retention. A HOB will quickly off-gas your CO2.

What's your lighting plan?

I've got an eheim 2232 canister filter in there with a home made spray bar doohickey, and placed it just below the water surface, so that it moves water, w/o agitating the surface.

I also have an aquaclear 70, which I guess, will not be using for this tank then. lol... UNLESS...there's a way for me to block the outlet of the filter, and help dampen the flow of water, so that it doesn't disturb the water too much...? Possible?

A

Anonymous

Patients is a virtue.... When I planted my 140 I was the same way about it being "ho hum". Its tough watching planted grow :( cichlids grow faster than plants.... Lol

I've converted all my T5HO lighting to 5000K and 6,400K. The tank has a bit more "yellow hugh" but the plants seem happier.

Lamental Jester

theChad said:
I've converted all my T5HO lighting to 5000K and 6,400K. The tank has a bit more "yellow hugh" but the plants seem happier.
If you have room to get a cheap T8 fixture on there and stick an actinic bulb or a 50/50 in there that can greatly improve the color

pbmax

PokeSephiroth said:
I also have an aquaclear 70, which I guess, will not be using for this tank then. lol... UNLESS...there's a way for me to block the outlet of the filter, and help dampen the flow of water, so that it doesn't disturb the water too much...? Possible?
Water agitation inside the filter itself will offgas CO2 as well (in the housing and the spill-way).

You can certainly use as many filters as you like, depending on how close to the Walstad method you want to get. Personally, I don't see the need for a second filter on a small tank like that - just means more noise and maintenance to me. :)

Br

wow this is interesting...i need to do more research on it...what happened to the pics?.there they are....nicely done....

binbin, I had originally planned for it to just be a simple grow out tank for plants, trim/clip plants that need to be trimmed down, and toss them in this tank, for them to grow, for me to either sell, or trade with other goods. But I ended up wanting to do another tank (MTS is starting to hit me really bad! LOL. It's all your fault, Lars On! ALL YOUR FAULT! =P kidding). So now that I have it set up as a Walstad tank, I'm thinking of putting in small fish in there. I figured, the tank in the grow room would add a nice touch, and would give me something to watch, while I tend to my plants. ;)

theChad, Patience is definitely a virtue, I've learned that through my 10gallon planted tank. It's fun watching the tank everyday though, not noticing the changes that happen, but when you compare "before and after" pictures, that's when you notice the significant changes! I might have to monkey around with the lighting, somewhere down the road. Once more money starts flowing in. We'll see. :whistle:

Lamental Jester, neat, I'll have to see if I can do that with my setup as well. :D thanks!

pbmax, oh right. Lighting. Let's see.. I just have two "daylight" fluorescent bulbs on it. I'm not sure how many watts it has...I just got it as part of the trade, and came with the 20 gallon long tank. I have it set so that it's just hanging on some rope, which I can easily adjust the height of the string, if I want the lights closer to the tank, or further away. :)

Br, thanks! Definitely do more research! I've been doing lots of research and asking around for tips and tricks, and even though I've already started with my tank, I find myself still doing more and more research! :) Keep it up!

Update!

Plants are doing really well! Still testing for Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates... Both Ammonia and Nitrites are down to 0. HECK YEAH!!!

But for some odd reason, Nitrates are THROUGH THE ROOF!! So... still not quite there yet, still keeping up with water changes though! I can't wait to introduce fish into the tank! Oh, I s'pose I also need a cover for it. Went to Lowes to see their acrylic sheets, only to find out that they're way too flimsy. Bah.

Gizmo

Nitrates and phosphates are the main component of fertilizers, so you might be experiencing elevated nitrates from the dirt. Can you test for phosphates? I have an API phosphate test kit I can let you borrow if you need it.

pbmax

Phosphates are some of what plants crave, not PH. Lots of detergents have phosphates; the reason they're bad is they create algae blooms since algae craves them too.

And yes, the nitrates are from the soil most likely. Step up your water change frequency until they level out. If you picked the right soil you shouldn't have tons of phosphates. If you get tons of algae then you do :)

pbmax, eeeenteresting. Very very eeeeenteresting. Hmm... Lars On gave me some of her Miracle Grow Potting Mix (not soil) . . . I let it dry out a bit, sifted the CRAP out of it, because I didn't want any of that bark in my substrate, but I know people don't sift it. I'm just anal like that (Hey, Lamental Jester did it too! LOL)

But yeah... doing water changes, and nitrates are slowly going down. Still no fish, just plants. I've noticed though, one of the leaves on the Amazon sword you sold me is turning yellow ;( . . . dunno what that means, since I don't there are any deficiencies in my water/substrate.