UPDATE: Amphilophus citrinellus - massive male

JK47

This is for Shawn. I finally got a few decent pics that show this beasts true color and wanted to share him with you since I know you would appreciate him for what he is bro, a brute of an Amphilophus... It was awesome seeing your collection the other day, it's very impressive and I will be back up soon to chat cichlids/shoot some pics once I get my speedlight. For now here is a a few shots of one of mine.

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

sandnuka

Makes me miss mine! he is awesome looking! maybe someday, when i want to designate a 75+gal tank to a fish.... I just love to have many fish in a tank :(

Drd62

Beautiful Amp. I can appreciate a nice looking fish I have a few fish myself. You got some very nice shots with your camers high lighting his coloration. :lol:

Drd62

Beautiful Amp. I can appreciate a nice looking fish I have a few fish myself. You got some very nice shots with your camers high lighting his coloration. :lol:

hbluehunter

Nice pics.. Looks like you're putting that new camera to good use.. Next time I'm down in your area I need some lessons.. Lol

JK47

sandnuka said:
Makes me miss mine! he is awesome looking! maybe someday, when i want to designate a 75+gal tank to a fish.... I just love to have many fish in a tank :(
Thanks, I appreciate the comments!

fishman09 said:
hes gorgeous jk. looks like your learning that new camera pretty quickly
Thanks bro! I'm trying! It is a lot more complicated than I thought it would be, I'm having fun though!

madness said:
AWESOME. :affraid:

Those pictures are looking great. :spoton:
Thanks Shawn!!! I knew you would love this guy. I'll be back up soon with better gear and we can shoot some of your collection if you like.

DMD123 said:
Nice! :clap:
Thanks bro!!! :D

Drd62 said:
Thanks! You have any links to pics of yours? These are his true colors. I shot the above in manual focus, no flash F8 with shutter speed of 200 with a Nikon D90 and a 18-105mm lens. Here is the difference in color from my old P&S (first pic) to the new DSLR (second pic) from today.

P1012529.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

finsandfeathers said:
Wow!!! He's awesome looking!!
Thanks!!! I love this guy. So do my wife and kids. He is the only solo fish in the house. Everyone else is in pairs. He is too aggressive to be with tankmates or a female :(

VsKitchen said:
wow, that's some fish! good job on the pics :)
Thanks!!! :D

hbluehunter said:
Nice pics.. Looks like you're putting that new camera to good use.. Next time I'm down in your area I need some lessons.. Lol
Thanks brother! I would happily shoot with you any time. What gear do you have? I am a rookie but will help in any way I can. The OH's deserve a decent set of pics :D

So I shot these tonight stopped at F10, shutter speed of 200, no flash and manual focus which I seem to get better luck with focus at this aperture. He has an injury on his lip from ramming some wood but it is healing up quickly. What do you guys think?

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
AquaMojo look out there's a new photographer in town... :lmfao:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I have a nice Sony DSLR that I won in a contest, but I need to invest in some flash equipment to get my pictures looking better. After I get my tank problems worked out I think I might have to get the flash so I can get some better pics up. Too bad you missed the cut off on the POTM because you have a winner.

JK47

DMD123 said:
I have a nice Sony DSLR that I won in a contest, but I need to invest in some flash equipment to get my pictures looking better. After I get my tank problems worked out I think I might have to get the flash so I can get some better pics up. Too bad you missed the cut off on the POTM because you have a winner.
The pics above are taking without a remote/external flash, just good settings a solid manual focus and getting in the habbit of shooting without flash (tank has Marineland double bright LED's which is not great but is OK). Good gear goes a long ways but I bet you can get amazing shots without better flash gear. Thanks so much for the compliment!!!! I've never got a POTM worthy compliment before! :oops: :beer:

Madness

Staff member
That guy looks great. Pictures are amazing. I have a DSLR that I use, but am clueless on how to use it the way you do.