Unheated tank - living room

Keiji

Any suggestions of nano fish and other critter species I can keep in an "unheated" nano tank?

Specs: 12L tank , PH 6.8, room temp - winter 68-71. Summer temp could reach 78 as a max. Planted tank.

Current stocking guppies, otocinculas. Guppies can go into another tank if needed. Would be neat of I could find a single fish that might fit that does not have a tendency to jump out of an open tank.

Any suggestions for research are appreciated :)

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Rice fish, white clouds, platies, blood fin tetras, zebra danios. I have kept all of these in unheated tanks that fit your specifications.

In an uncovered tank, I don't think it would be very long before the danios, white clouds, and bloodfins all ended up on the floor. :(

Keiji

I'm trying Platy. I tried a Goby. He did well for long time but at night it chased Guppies. One night it chased one right out of the tank. My fingers are crossed. 20210205_132949.jpg

Keiji

I almost contemplating Apistogramma. I may eventually move Platy into another tank and try the Apisto. I'm afraid water too cold though for dwarf cichlid :/ I'm at 69°F.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I almost contemplating Apistogramma. I may eventually move Platy into another tank and try the Apisto. I'm afraid water too cold though for dwarf cichlid :/ I'm at 69°F.

Way, way, way too cold. You'll read some crazy stuff online about keeping Apisto's in the low 70's, but to keep these fishes happy and healthy long-term they need to be kept at ~80 degrees, even higher for spawning.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I think you will like the platy!
I have four in my planted tank ( all females) that I’ve really been enjoying.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I'm trying Platy. I tried a Goby. He did well for long time but at night it chased Guppies. One night it chased one right out of the tank. My fingers are crossed. View attachment 7777
What is your go to local store? I really like the one you got with the white with black spots and an almost neon blue glow to the dorsal area.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I found these at Bridges Pet in Snohomish. There was 3-4 more that color this afternoon.
Awesome! I’ve never been there but I plan to check it out the next time I go visit I limy brother in woodenville as then it’s only a wee bit farther ( or so I’ll tell my kids. Haha)