Understocked?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
How many run an understocked tank?

In my new 210g set up I am actually thinking of having it be on the understocked side to encourage maximum size potential. The only concern is the possibility of aggression not being spread out and one fish receiving the brunt of the violence.

Anybody have an understocked cichlid tank?

A

Anonymous

I would say you have reason to be concerned. I have run an "understocked" tank before. I have a pair of firemouths with a rainbow cichlid and a cutteri. All were adult size except the cutteri and he was 3 and a half inches. These guys were in a 90 (I consider that understocked) the firemouth male would hunt the cutteri and the rainbow, breeding and not breeding, dident seem to matter.

I think that if you "understock" it should be 2 fish of equal size, in a very roomy tank, with a definite structure to seperate boundry lines. But you know, ANYTHING is possible with cichlids. It all depends on the fish and how they behave.

I like the direction your going here, I can't wait to see photos of your "fully" stocked tank.. its gonna be awesome, I'm. Really looking forward to it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
My final stock will be:

1 Pearsei
1 Midas
1 Argentea
5 Silver Dollars
1 Pleco

This was my original plan. I think by keeping the dithers in the tank it may work out.

The Argentea is turning out to be a hyperactive little guy who is very personable. I'm liking him a lot. I could see him being an issue when grown. The Midas is still mellow as ever toward him (though I came home to the Argentea having a torn top fin, but he wasnt hiding or shying away from the Midas at all)

I think the key will be the Pearsei. I am going to order a WC 6-7" male from gage on the group order. As long as the Midas does not constantly go after him I think it will work out. I really want a giant Pearsei, I can imagine a 16" monster in the tank!

I would still consider a few smaller guys like the cutteri, convict, as dithers also.