Tropical Water Lily

Zerc

So, assuming my 120g tank works out, i will be putting it on a 26" stand, leaving the top of the tank around 4' tall in my living room. It will be viewable from 3 of the 4 sides, with one end against a wall. Since the top is so low, I want to build a clear domed top with some 10000k lights at the top (the very top of the dome will be wood) I want to put a tropical water lily in the tank, (22" tall tank) but i don't know anything about growing aquatic plants.

questions!

1. It is a mixed Cichlid tank, if I cover the area around the tuber with driftwood, I am reasonably sure they wont tear it up. Is there anything else I should do to protect it?
2. I have read that lilies need good fertilizer to bloom consistently. Will fish waste be enough fertilizer considering I vacuum gravel once/week. Fish listed below.
1x JD
1x EBJD
1x Green terror
1x Firemouh
2x Convict
1x Red Zebra
1x Melanochromis Auratus
1x L110
1x L190
1x L014
3. If fish waste is not sufficient fertilizer, what is a good fertilizer that is not harmful to cichlids?
4. Are there filters I should avoid with plants? (UV for example)
5. The only other plant in the tank will be some java moss. Should it be separated from the lily or can they grow in the same area?
6. Will the above mentioned plecos eat my lily? :(
7. OR is this a bad idea, the fish will just destroy the lily?
Thanks! :D

Kaosu

hmm the lilys have delicate..almost tissue like paper leaves ..so im guessing with your fish would tear them apart..

i know convicts and JDs like to rearrange tanks..they don't do well being dug up.

that being said yes.fish poo is enough for them..i have a red dwarf lily in my tank..at 1 wpg it sens a few runners a month to the surface lovely plants..but i think your stock will be to brutal with them

I would suggest some large Anubia..tie them to your drift wood and rocks till they latch on and grow, not much can destroy there tough leaves.

WyldFya

Those cichlids will destroy a lily. Other than bashing the plants, the plecos won't do much to them at all.