Tropical Fish World & Pets- Sumner

sidekicking

Overall Experience 3
Cost 4
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 3
Service 2

very clean,very small selection of cichlids, Show tanks were too small for the fish they had in them
they had a shark that was way too big for the tank

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Tropical fish world and pets - Sumner

Overall Experience 5
Cost 4
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 4
Service 5

Mikey

Deleted off topic comments. Please take a look at the rules within this section. We are trying to make it easy to read and understand.

Racersk

overall experience 5
cost 5
quality of fish 5
varitey 5
service 5

They even have a 'rewards' program!

Pleco_Party

Overall Experience 3
Cost 2
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 4
Service 3

I have only been here twice and that was when i first started getting into aquariums. I bought a black ghost knife and a long fin pleco... The service was okay, there where about 6 customers and only two people working but i guess that's understandable because of the economy. But whats not understandable is their prices. I don't remember how much i paid for the ghost knife but I remember paying $20 bucks for the baby Long fin pleco, It was only a 1in at most(I believe the L number is L144). I was new to buying fish and now that i know better i feel like they took advantage of me. I haven't been there since.

A

Anonymous

Overall Experience 3
Cost 3
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 4
Service 2
I have only been here twice and that was when i first started getting into aquariums. The last visit service was bad. I haven't been there since. I felt like I was being watched like I was going to steal fish and put them in my pockets. Lol. Put fish in my pockets. Still bought fish that day were on sale.

Chiisai

Overall Experience 3
Cost 3
Quality of Fish 3
Variety 4
Service 2

They have a decent selection of fish (most of the time) tanks though are usually dirty like they have not been cleaned in forever. Plants are snail ridden(good news if you have puffers or loaches) so buyer beware. My biggest complaint about this store is the Aquariums for sale... they have them stacked EVERYWHERE!!! The center of the store is so full you feel like your going to bump into atleast one of them. However this means if there is a size or type of tank... they prolly have it. Albeit for a bit more than I think they should cost. Staff is friendly and food selection is very good.

swamp-rat

Overall Experience 4
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 4
Service 4

This is just down the street and it's nice to be able to swing down to grab filters or food whenever you need it. The staff and I have gotten to know each other well over the years so they know when I need help and when I don't; however I've overheard some good and some misinformation handed out over the years but luckily they have a stable staff that seems ready to learn if they're in the wrong. They have regular sales that really can't be beat, especially if you're on the mailing list. Overall a decent pet store, but here are my downsides:
1. Other animals are kept in cramped conditions with inappropriate cagemates and poor diet.
2. Do not offer trades/store credit
3. Won't sponsor clubs

I wanted to address some of the other comments I saw in these reviews.
1. The tank water is changed in every tank at least once a week. I know because I'm constantly tripping over the Python and garden hose.
2. Yes there is a plethora of snails in the tanks. Unless you're buying plants it shouldn't be an issue. They've started stocking assassin snails regularly now too to help combat the problem.
3. Fish are quarantined for 1 week before being sold. The tanks that contain new fish will have a HOLD sticker on them and the staff won't let you purchase from that tank until the quarantine is up. I find this a prudent move for everyone involved since they offer a FW guarantee and it helps potential owners that don't quarantine every fish to avoid common diseases that develop after shipping.

poffman

Overall Experience 5
Cost 4
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 5

This place is great. My wife and I came in and told them we were just looking at setting up a tank and they gave us tons of information with a no pressure attitude, we came back and bought all of our startup supplies here and Shannon and Casey were very thorough showing us each and every piece, removing them from the box and telling us how to operate them and what to look out for, they spent a huge amount of time with us and were happy to do it. The store is relatively clean, they have a lot of tanks for sale everywhere which is daunting at first, but their fish selection is great. They quarantine everything for a week and I have yet to lose a single fish from here. I would have no worries suggesting this place to someone who was new to fish and knew nothing, Shannon told us straight up that a big tank is a good idea and to take our time selecting something because the last thing you want is to wish you had gone for a different size later on. We've since been back many times and bought a lot of fish there, and will continue to make the drive down to Sumner.

KaraWolf

over all experience 5
cost 4
quality of fish 5 3
variety 5
service 5

Start off with an address because some of these places are really hard to find on the internet:
    15714 Main St E sumner wa
Love this place. I've been 3x now, once last year and twice this week. Even when it's packed they have good service. I'm used to visiting petco/smart so being able to actually talk fish with these guys is amazing. Little bumbed that the guarantee is only a week (again used to the 2week/1month of the box stores) and only for fish under 10$ but the actual quality of the stock and the fact that they quarantine in-store for a week before selling anything makes up for it.
Picked up a school of lemon tetra(they will even call you when they have the stock you want in!), and in the display they were so happy that the males were trying to impress females for mating, and after only 2 days in my little 20 gallon quarantine they're trying to mate there too! Totally fantastic quality stock, blows others out of the water.
Had to go back because one of the females decided it'd like to try living on the floor. And I decided I needed more of them! partially to add to the school and partially to even up (hopefully) the gender ratio.

Editing  to say I'm much less impressed with their fish now. I've lost 11 of a total 14 fish since I picked them up, 4 now after the infection was cured. I'm now afraid to put the last 3 in my tank because they're dying off with no visible sign. Happy at bedtime feeding, one dead by morning.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Overall Experience 3
Cost 3
Quality of Fish 3
Variety 2
Service 3

Was not impressed with the fish dept. at all. Lots of empty tanks and now they have signs on many fish that say they are not guaranteed. Their prices have always been a bit high compared to others but usually that was because the quality was better. I did not see any real difference this time around. I also stopped at a Petsmart the same evening and it put these guys to shame with the variety and quality.