Tropheus (pics)

Betty

Staff member
Some of the cherry spots. It's hard to get pictures since they never hold still. I sat on the floor hoping they would give up thinking I was going to feed them, but no luck with that so I took the pics from the floor. :roll: Here they are looking for a meal.

23dd5b83.jpg

b0a04f65.jpg

2107092a.jpg

23362525.jpg

47f49db3.jpg

460d192a.jpg

530e4b2a.jpg

iandraco

great looking cherry spots. i hope to set up a tropheus tank soon. everybody says to start with duboisi but i really like the firecracker red moorii moliro. would these be too tough for a tropheus newbe?

sandnuka

iandraco said:
great looking cherry spots. i hope to set up a tropheus tank soon. everybody says to start with duboisi but i really like the firecracker red moorii moliro. would these be too tough for a tropheus newbe?

I have had several types of tropheus... and honestly havent noticed too much of a difference in fish... The moorii type can be a little more aggressive, but the reds are fine.... I dont think you have to start with duboisi, They are a little more docile, not much... they will still kill eachother if not housed properly... the trick is to get that right community setup with them, and never add a tropheus to an existing group.... Your goal is to have 1 male for every 4 or 5 females.... and a minimum of 10-12 in a community.... if you run into any problems let me know... be glad to help.

Betty

Staff member
Thanks!

These are the only tropheus I've kept and they haven't been difficult -- yet -- (knocking on wood). I've had them for almost two years now.

gobluecichlids

iandraco said:
I may be back in the game to make an order. My source has moliro reds avail 2.5-3" size. I'd recommend 16-20 of these. I'll be posting up my current tropheus groups on the market soon.