Tried to resist getting back into fish. I'm failing.

Ali

Howdy!

I'm a 20-something living in Seattle. Had a tank as a kid with guppies, cory cats, and a pleco (I felt like a superhero when my pleco grew to 10", his name was Pickles and for the decade or so I had him I adored that fish) But nothing in recent years.

About two years ago I was working at a pet Expo in Puyallup when a gal walked up to me and handed me a betta in a solo cup. They were prizes in a ball toss game and had a thousand or so left after the weekend. So we had Gus. My boyfriend was instantly smitten and there was no sending him to another home. When my SO got a job in North Carolina and had to move, we drove across the country with the fish, a mystery snail and a live plant in a travel coffee mug. Gus did just fine in the south and when the boyfriend was able to move back after getting a job with Boeing we shipped him overnight back to me in Seattle.

He's in a 5.5 gal, and a few weeks ago we got some green neon tetras at the Co-Op in Edmonds. But I'm still really hankering for more tanks. Keeping a close eye on craigslist to see if any super deals come up. Lord knows I need a new expensive hobby as much as I need a hole in the head.

I'm really drawn to the Endler's. The conservation nerd side of me likes the idea I may be helping a species that is extenct in the wild. Anybody around here have the N-type fish? Words of wisdom before I dive in head first?

Also, I got an "Aquafarm" for Christmas. Planning on moving the betta in there and growing some herbs and wheatgrass in the top, really seems like a cool little setup. Does anyone here have experience with one of those?

Hope folks had a happy holiday!
Ali

Chiisai

Can you show a pic of the aquafarm? I have seen many"aquafarms" as glass vases your suppose to put the Betta in and the plant grow in the neck. This is not a good idea, especially when you consider that betta get alot of their air from the surface. Also betta by nature are insectivores so the idea of them eating at the roots seems short lived

A

Anonymous

Welcome to WashingtonFishBox Ali,
Nice story but I have to warn you about the title of this thread. If you are looking for support for resisting MTS support will be minimal ;) But we are here to support you in any other way aquatic.

I too am interested in pictures so I hope you share :)

Again, WELCOME! I am glad you are here :)

Bob

Ali said:
Keeping a close eye on craigslist to see if any super deals come up.

Welcome!
Petco $1 per gallon tank sale started today! Rent a uhaul and go buy some tanks.

Ali

Thanks for the warm welcome, I can already tell I'm going to love being a part of this group!

The Aquafarm is a mini hydroponics system. A little pump cycles dirty water from the 3gal tank up to a tray with herbs and wheatgrass. They get fertilized by the fish waste and clean the water. Seems like a clever idea if nothing else.

I was talking to a gal on cl with a 48 bowfront with stand and all equiptment for $60. Unfortunately she hasn't been answering her phone as of late.

The person running this add seems very nice, but there is quite a bit of a language barrier. I think they need to move by tomorrow so I'm tempted to make an offer. Plus all of the livebearers would need new homes. Hard to see from the poor quality photos, but it looks like a bunch of platies and a gourami or two. Really was hoping to get an empty tank to slowly start adding to. Plus less of a shock for my housemates :)
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pet/4817414625.html

tazeat

$1/gal sale is an excellent way to get a 29g, or a 40g breeder or the 55g. Or check our for sale section here, lots of good ways to get a tank going especially with plants sold here.

A

Anonymous

Ali said:
I was talking to a gal on cl with a 48 bowfront with stand and all equiptment for $60. Unfortunately she hasn't been answering her phone as of late.

The person running this add seems very nice, but there is quite a bit of a language barrier. I think they need to move by tomorrow so I'm tempted to make an offer. Plus all of the livebearers would need new homes. Hard to see from the poor quality photos, but it looks like a bunch of platies and a gourami or two. Really was hoping to get an empty tank to slowly start adding to. Plus less of a shock for my housemates :)
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pet/4817414625.html

If she's dropped the price down to $60 it dosent sound like a bad deal. 48 gal bowfront tank, filter, top, light, substrate, plants. $60? Yeah, okay! I am sure someone here will take the fish. If not, I am sure one of our LFS may help you out...

Ali

I realize i worded that post a bit awkwardly. The bowfront seller hasn't been answering the phone.

The second add is for the craigslist add i put at the vottom. It's a 48 (is that a standard size?) And has all the fish in it.

A

Anonymous

A $100 is a bit steep for a 48 gallon tank. If I was to consider this I would need to know the make of the filter and light. The ad didn't say anything about a stand. That would be another factor of price. That's just me though.

I think it is a "standard size". Perhaps someone else can chime in on that to be sure.

Ali

Buying a tank for a dollar a gallon I'm out 55, and that's before any stand, hood, filtration, substrate etc. I'm still optimistic to find a whole setup on the cheap. If anybody has one to sell let me know!