Transporting plants

Crazyfishguy

Ok need advice I'm visiting my parents in arkansas and went to a LFS and bought the most amazing madagascar lace I've ever seen. What is the best way to keep it healthy and the best way to bring it back. I leave in 3 days to fly back.

A

Anonymous

Oh gosh, you couldn't help yourself could you, lol! I would consider sending priority mail to your house and have someone stick it into your tank. It'll get there in a couple days...

I don't know about transporting it in a plane. I hope there won't be any problems. Last I heard you couldnt transport liquids. The only way I can think off transporting the plant is wrapping it up in wet paper towels. Again, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT TSA, and airplane security. After the 4th day the plant will begin to really die back. Try not to get it super hot by leaving it in a car in the hot sun. This will melt the plant... Good luck!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I agree with fishNAbowl and would ship it back. Flat rate box up to 12.65 will get it here faster and cheaper with less hassle. It is supposed to be warm this weekend so hopefully someone here can get it and put it in a tank for you asap

B

big01612

Travelers passing through security checkpoints may carry liquids, gels, and aerosols if these are in containers 3.4 ounces or smaller. All of these must be placed in one, quart-size, clear plastic, resealable bag and must fit comfortably in the bag (3-1-1 rule).

There is an exception to the 3-1-1 rule for live fish. If the fish is alive and swimming in the liquid, then the liquid is not an explosive. In addition, the container holding live fish may be larger than 3.4 ounces. The fish must be swimming in water that is contained in a clear, plastic container that is spill proof. This will allow the Transportation Security Officer to visually inspect the fish at the screening checkpoint.

However, regardless of whether an item is on the prohibited or permitted items list, the Transportation Security Officers have discretion to prohibit an individual from carrying an item through the screening checkpoint or onboard an aircraft. Therefore, Transportation Security Administration (TSA) security screening personnel make the final decision on whether to permit items like live fish into the secured area of the airport.

Also, TSA recommends travelers contact their airlines to inquire about any additional guidelines the airlines may have regarding traveling with live fish. For the most current information on TSA security screening procedures, visit our website at www.tsa.gov.
We hope this information is helpful.

TSA Contact Center

B

big01612

So if you put a little small fish like a white cloud with in the container. You could get it with you in the plane. Just they need see the fish alive and kicking in the bag. Alive fish equals no explosive Chem in the bag.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I would agree but whether the plant can with stand that long out of substrate and such is the other question where fishNAbowl and I are concerned. Plants don't last long outside of substrate unless they pull from the water column instead of substrate.

B

big01612

Either way it will take 3 days to get to Washington from Arkansa. So he takes with him on plane be home in few hours and put a tank or be in a hot truck for 3 days then be held at post office without light in box till he picks it up.

B

big01612

If does he not mess with the plant in the bag except to put a cloud fish or a betta and change out water with bottled water that same day of flight and follows TSA guidelines. He is good.

A

Anonymous

big01612 said:
Either way it will take 3 days to get to Washington from Arkansa. So he takes with him on plane be home in few hours and put a tank or be in a hot truck for 3 days then be held at post office without light in box till he picks it up.

That hot truck is a plant killer!!