Topic and reply notifications HOW TO!

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
This is probably one of the most important features for a forum. Ours is now set to default on.

What does that mean? If you have signed up after this date, you'll be default on. This will email you when a reply is made to any topic you've started or replied to. This is a useful tool when selling, buying, talking etc.

To turn this feature on or off here is how you do it. I recommend turning it on for those of you who are already members.

Go to User Control Panel.
You'll be in the board preferences section.
On the left side click Edit Posting defaults.
Then you'll find: Notify me upon replies by default: Yes or No.

It's that easy and you'll be surprised at how much more useful the forum is.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-01-12 21.50.41.png
    Screenshot 2015-01-12 21.50.41.png
    261.6 KB · Views: 92

Betty

Staff member
That's good info.

Another feature, one that I prefer because it won't notify you when a reply is posted to every topic you've posted in, is the subscribe feature. You can pick the topics or forums you're most interested in and would like to be notified of when a new reply or topic has been posted there.

To subscribe to the topic, you scroll to the very bottom of the page -- on the left side there is a checked box next to "Subscribe topic". If you click on "Subscribe topic", you'll get an email notification when a reply is posted. You'll only get one email until you log on and check the topic, even if there are multiple replies. So if you subscribe to the topic and don't come back to the site that day, you won't have 10 emails if 10 replies were posted in that time. If you no longer want to be notified of replies, back at the bottom of the page, you click on "Unsubscribe topic".

You can also subscribe to individual forums if you want to know if any topics have been posted there. Like the African Cichlid forum, for example or Craigslist finds, etc. Same thing -- scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Subscribe forum".

Another way you can unsubscribe or just see what all you've subscribed to is in your control panel. Go to the Manage Features tabs and you'll see an option to manage subscriptions.

flamechica

I have a question about this....I installed tapatalk to view the forum on mobile a bit easier. So, I am getting notifications through email and through tapatalk. So, I turned off the notifications, like suggested in the first post, but I am still getting email notifications. Is there something else I am have to turn off that I am missing? I don't want both email and tapatalk notifications....it's a bit excessive. lol

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have to look into it, but I think tapatalk has notifications via both email and the app?

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm interesting, I will try to reproduce this as well. Then I might be able to fix it.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Oh also I wonder if it will continue to do it for previous topics but not new ones. For instance, if you were auto subscribed to this one. It would flag you to receive notifications. But if you start another new topic, it shouldn't auto subscribe you.

flamechica

Well, I unsubscribed from everything last night and re-subscribed to just a few topics that I knew I wanted notifications from, just to see what would happen and that didn't help. On the topics that I re-subscribed to, I am still getting both emails and tapatalk notifications. I have replied to a few new topics this morning, so we will see what happens with those.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, well yes, if you're subscribed to a topic, then you'll get an email from wafishbox. tapatalk notifications will be separate from wafishbox.

let me know if you're getting updates from topics which you currently are not subscribed too.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps you can post a screenshot? As I can't find where you could turn specifically email notifications off on wafishbox. As I don't know of another method wafishbox could contact you that you had a new notification?

If you subscribe to a topic on wafishbox, you will get an email. Tapatalk is it's own software and handles notifications in of itself.

If you're going by what was posted on the top screenshot of this post, that is to auto opt you in to receive emails whenever a reply is made to something you post in.

If you have that turned off, you won't get emails by default. You'll only get emails when you click subscribe.

If you have tapatalk installed, it has it's own settings to auto subscribe you etc for tapatalk notifications.

flamechica

Aquarium Co-Op said:
Perhaps you can post a screenshot? As I can't find where you could turn specifically email notifications off on wafishbox. As I don't know of another method wafishbox could contact you that you had a new notification?

If you subscribe to a topic on wafishbox, you will get an email. Tapatalk is it's own software and handles notifications in of itself.

If you're going by what was posted on the top screenshot of this post, that is to auto opt you in to receive emails whenever a reply is made to something you post in.

If you have that turned off, you won't get emails by default. You'll only get emails when you click subscribe.

Yes, I am going by the first post in this post, as it says "Notify me upon replies" so I thought that meant the emails.

Aquarium Co-Op said:
If you have tapatalk installed, it has it's own settings to auto subscribe you etc for tapatalk notifications.

As far as Tapatalk goes, I cannot find any settings whatsoever for subscriptions per topic or anything like that. They have a subscriptions area where you can view what topics you are subscribed to, which are the few topics I am currently subscribed to on the forum. As far as the settings go, I have two check boxes for subscriptions....to receive notifications for subscribed topics and to receive notifications for subscribed forums. That's it.... I guess, I am going to have to turn it all off and take my chances, because this double notification thing is driving me batty. I tried turning off Admin emails. I have tried doing everything I can think of and I keep getting two notifications for every topic.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
You'll have to make a choice yes.

If you have tapatalk subscriptions on. And you are subscribed to a thread on the forum. You will receive a notification in tapatalk, and you will receive an email in your email.

So, you basically need to pick one platform for your notifications, either push notifications via tapatalk or emails from the forum.

flamechica

I'd like to pick just tapatalk notifications, but it doesn't seem like that is an option. I either get both or I get nothing. Unless you are saying, that I HAVE to use tapatalk exclusively to get "subscribed" to the topics through tapatalk, in which case, that is very lame of tapatalk, since I receive push notification of topics I am subscribed to through the forum currently. I hate email notifications, just more junk to delete in my email. I get enough of that already.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
After searching for a while. I've found that there is currently no way to achieve what you want other than say, changing your email to something you don't use very often.

It's a known issue and is said be being worked on, but no eta. Basically there is no way to stop the emails from sending out currently. Tapatalk needs to get notifications from the bookmark feature, not the subscribe feature.

flamechica

Ok. I guess that is an easy enough solution. Thanks for looking into it! This is my first time using tapatalk. I was considering using it on a forum I run after I upgrade the software one of these days. Hopefully, they fix it before then. lol