The Wet Spot - Portland

Zerc

The Wet Spot - Portland

Overall Experience 3
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 1

I am supposed to get my shipment of fish and plants today, so I sent their sales manager an email asking if I could get a tracking number so I could get an approximate time of arrival. He responded with "Have you paid? I am not seeing a payment on paypal."

:violent:

I had called him Friday and paid over the phone, and it charged to my account Monday morning...

:violent:

So my fish will be here tomorrow...

:x :x :x

plumcuda

Got a great order from wet spot

I got a great order a few weeks ago with no problems. Paid by credit card on the phone. Healthy fish. Matter of fact
the baby(I thought) orange flash have graced me with 2 batches of baby's in the last 2 weeks. On a side note anybody
from Bremerton to Port Angeles have a 20-40 long to sale. My 10 gallon holding tank is getting cramped.

Lori

michaelman

The Wet Spot - Portland

Overall Experience- 5
Cost-5
Quality of Fish-5
Variety- 5
Service- 2
this is a local store for me being in vancouver . great selection. what i like is that its not a pet store its a fish store only .which makes it great because you dont get distracted by other pets and products imo anyways. plus its a big store for being a lfs. service can be improved. but the quality and rarity plus quantity will keep this lfs as one of my favorites

pbmax

Overall Experience- 5
Cost-5
Quality of Fish-5
Variety- 5
Service- 5

I've placed 2 orders from Wetspot via UPS ground and paypal outside of Aquabid and I've had zero issues. Anthony generally answered my emails within hours and I sent him a bunch of them, asking questions about this and that. I did have a DOA in my first order (one of 13 pygmy corys), but he gave me credit for it which I applied to my 2nd order - no DOAs there (chili rasboras).

Madness

Staff member
Had the pleasure of going to Portland today with FishnVW and met Aclockworkorange and visited here. First for my scores

Overall Experience 2
Cost 4
Quality of Fish and tanks 0
Variety 5
Service 3

I have visited the Wet Spot a few times over the last 1.5 years, and I have to say that this time, I was thoroughly disappointed. Travis there was helpful as usual, but only saw 1 other guy there working. The tanks were an absolute mess. They were dirty, cloudy, disgusting. The fish looked uncomfortable, and sick. Saw several tanks with fish scratching and had clamped fins. Even more fish had long stringy poo, which points to parasites. Even the huge African tank in the front of the store was so cloudy and dirty you could barely see what was in it. Some tanks were so dirty you could tell which fish were which.

I dont know what has happened, but IMO the most awesome fish store in the NW is quickly going down hill. I hope they clean it up soon, cause it wont be worth it to drive and visit ever again.

Jantilla

madness said:
Had the pleasure of going to Portland today with FishnVW and met Aclockworkorange and visited here. First for my scores

Overall Experience 2
Cost 4
Quality of Fish and tanks 0
Variety 5
Service 3

I have visited the Wet Spot a few times over the last 1.5 years, and I have to say that this time, I was thoroughly disappointed. Travis there was helpful as usual, but only saw 1 other guy there working. The tanks were an absolute mess. They were dirty, cloudy, disgusting. The fish looked uncomfortable, and sick. Saw several tanks with fish scratching and had clamped fins. Even more fish had long stringy poo, which points to parasites. Even the huge African tank in the front of the store was so cloudy and dirty you could barely see what was in it. Some tanks were so dirty you could tell which fish were which.

I dont know what has happened, but IMO the most awesome fish store in the NW is quickly going down hill. I hope they clean it up soon, cause it wont be worth it to drive and visit ever again.
I agree with you. I have been there two times in the last week and the experience wasn't worth the trip. It looks like they stopped taking care of their fish. The tanks were horrible and the fish weren't any better. The wet spot used to be leader of the pack.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Overall Experience- 5
Cost-5
Quality of Fish-5
Variety- 5
Service- 5

The tanks looked very well kept up to me and the fish looked great. I guess I dont see the place every day and only get in there about once every six to eight months and on this day it was good. I am not sure who helped me but he was knowledgeable, friendly and patient. He took time to answer all my questions on compatibility and never made me feel rushed. I thought the variety of CA cichlids was good considering that it was been very slim at A Place For Pets. I ended up with Vieja bifasciatum, Parachromic fredrichsthalii and Paratilapia bleekeri. There were many more I was interested in but this was the mix I brought home. Over all I was very happy with the experience.

Fisrt trip to the wet spot Friday. Great Place! Couldn't spend the time I wanted to while there, though. Between games at g-daughter's softball tournament...!! :(

I rate all 5's as well. Fish, tanks and plants were all pristine. Large selection of Af Cichlids which I liked a lot. Get this....before we left my WIFE bought a 12 gallon rimless bookshelf tank!!! Woo hoo! :bounce: Now gotta find filter and light to fit the decor of our home!

A

Anonymous

I would rate all 5s.
There was no saltwater fish but I can even appreciate the selection and quantity of freshwater species.

Madness

Staff member
Visited the Wet Spot today. First time back since my last (very disappointing) visit.

I can sum this up in 2 words. MUCH IMPROVED. :D

Overall Experience 5
Cost 5
Quality of Fish and tanks 5
Variety 5 (for the avg hobbyist)
Variety 3+ (for me, I have a lot of what they have, so variety was slim)
Service 5++

I was so very pleased and happy to see that the store was looking great. Travis, (as usual) was very helpful.

I picked up some different types of fish today. 3 x Botia Kubotai "Burma Loach", 2 x WC Caq Myersi, a pair of WC Geo. Steindachneri, L260 - 'Queen Arabesque' Pleco, and L075 - Peckoltia sabaji 'Para' Pleco.

A

Anonymous

The WallMart of aquatics huge store huge selection. OMG, took me like 2 hours to walk the whole store.

Overall Experience: 5
Cost: 3
Quality of Fish: 5
Variety: 5
Service: ... You have to go find someone available at times. A little understaffed for the size of the place.

A

Anonymous

Overall Experience: 4
Cost: 4
Service: 4.5

I ordered fish from these guys online and had them shipped overnight. Anthony was easy to work with and provided me a tracking number. Fish arrived well packaged and all were alive and well (and still are). They have great prices compared to the local fish stores and an even better selection. My only gripe is I recently emailed Anthony to inquire about 2 species of fish and expressed to him that I would like to possibly take the drive down there to visit if the fish were in stock but he never replied back. That was about 3 weeks ago :x Kind of discourages me from contacting again in the future but I likely will if they stock a fish I want and cannot find locally. Overall a good experience.

Madness

Staff member
Anthony is a very busy man, with dealing with the Wet Spot and Cichlid Exchange, call the store and ask for Travis, he is the guy that keeps the store running smoothly, and he will help you immediately.

GL

master chi

:wall: I was in Gresham last weekend and I really wanted to stop by there. My schedule just didn't allow for it. I was bummed because I have heard great things about the place.

CrazedAce

Overall Experience: 4
Cost: 4
Service: 5

Me and my fiance stopped by on our way back from vacation. It felt like entering a rainforest when I stepped through the doors, I noticed fans but no dehumidifiers or AC, which I hope they have somewhere. It took me a while to look around, but I ended up buying a super red ancistrus pleco for $20 and a calico ancistrus pleco for $14, as well as a couple flagtail porthole cats for $15 total. I had actually picked out a flag tail and regular, but the regular was swimming funny in the bag. They replaced it with a flag tail and didn't charge me extra. If you are in the area, it is definitely worth it to stop by, but I wouldn't recommend a trip just for this store, it is much cheaper to pay shipping than it is to pay for gas.

jettej

Overall Experience 4
Cost 3
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5+
Service 2

I finally get to check this store today. Very nice set up! Downside is you don't know where to start Because you see all the good stuff everywhere.

Cost- I can get lower prices from some place else here at Wa. but assuming they don't take taxes It's worth buying stuff that u don't normally get here at Wa.

Quality of fish- I'm amazed how they managed to take care all this fish despite of countless number of tanks they have. most fish doesn't looked stressed.

Variety- If you can't find it here at Wa. you can find it there. I found some bettas that are wild caught and you can usually find only at aquabid.. Plecos That are wild caught. and tons of Plants!

Service- I went there today around 3:20PM and they looked like they are ready to get off work since they close earlier today than normal. 4 P.M. Because of obvious reasons. Young staff. Can be a little too hard to make a conversation. Easy to ask questions but they answer a little bit of a Period answer.

Anyways this store will be a Top of the list to go whenever I will visit Portland...
I hope they expand/improve service. Overall I'm satisfied I visited this store.

cichlid-gal

Overall Experience 5
Cost 4
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5+
Service 5

We visited Wetspot a couple of weeks ago and I apologize...I did not realized there was a review section  here for them.

Our experience was exceptional.  Only having one local fish store and a Petco in our area we felt like we were in fish store heaven and kids in a candy store.  Their tanks were stunning.  The fish looked happy and well cared for.  The variety of fish and plants overwhelmed us.  While shopping we had several store personnel inquire about assisting us and helping us make choices and giving information.  We took our time and viewed the whole store.  It was a great experience overall.

If you are ever in Portland, make sure to put this store on your "must visit" list.  You will not be disappointed.

Madness

Staff member
Overall Experience 4
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 3.5

Still my favorite here in the NW. Since my last rating almost a year ago, I have visited the Wet Spot several times. Have sold hundreds of various fry to them, and Travis is the main reason this place rocks. This last visit Travis was on vacation and my questions couldnt find an answer from most of the help there. Either way, it was a pleasant visit and I came away with 2 more plecos.

Oh and for you Discus enthusiasts. They now have one side of an entire row dedicated to Discus(+ -60 tanks). I wish I would have taken some pictures, they had a couple of blue ones that were out of this world. :D

CrimsonFog

Overall Experience 4
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 5
Service 3

Love this place. I don't go there for the customer service ;-)