The tannin experiment.

dig317537

So I am in the beginning stages of a rescape. My current 12 gal bookshelf tank has been having issues and so time to redo it. I want something that is low maintenance and I have been inspired by things I have come across the interwebs more importantly the emergence of biotope/tannin/blackwater type tanks. This is how the tank looks now.DSC_0525.JPG
Algae sludge all over lol. But there are some really cool plants I need to figure out where to put. I started my first emersed setup for some of them. Any way I said I'll post things, ya'll can join me on the journey to changing this to tannin stained.

julzhull

Oh I remember seeing this one in the GSAS video. I love those 12 gal bookshelf tanks! I wish I had a good place to put one...with three cats it's a little hard to have open top tanks.

This will be fun to watch.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
@dig317537 when you say "algae sludge all over" ----- um.... I don't think you've seen MY tanks...LOL Yours look pretty darn good to me.....!

dig317537

here's the emerse culture that I hope works. my first attempt, been wanting to do this for awhile and then realize I should have went bigger, I got too many plants that are harder to find.DSC_0526.JPG

L190

me too!! I'm actually trying to start a emersed tank with a 55 gallon tank I just got. My wife would only let me set it up if i make it look nice so I got plans to make a river manifold, automatic mister, and planning to grow rarer crypts and erios.

dig317537

So this project is going to take longer then I was wanting. Moving later this year and didn't want to setup something only to tear it down a few months later. But this does give me the opportunity to plan something awesome for this tannin stained tank.

L190

Is that fogger really keeping the humidity up in your set up? I was thinking of using one of those if my mister system doesn't work out

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
You guys are awesome. You're doing stuff that I'm way way too lazy to do. But I get to watch you -- so it's all good.

dig317537

You guys are awesome. You're doing stuff that I'm way way too lazy to do. But I get to watch you -- so it's all good.
This whole experiment is so I can be lazy lol. All of my tanks, at the moment, are planted with some difficult plants and maintenance is becoming too much. Even reducing the number of tanks I have.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
This whole experiment is so I can be lazy lol. All of my tanks, at the moment, are planted with some difficult plants and maintenance is becoming too much. Even reducing the number of tanks I have.

Awww. I don't think you're the same caliber of lazy as I am. lol When are you moving? What a hassle, right? Ugh. I hope I die in this place I'm sitting in right now. lol

dig317537

So now I am thinking about tying moss to a branch I want to put in this new setup but can't decide which.
Should I go with christmas moss or willow moss (I think I have the giant version)?

dig317537

Awww. I don't think you're the same caliber of lazy as I am. lol When are you moving? What a hassle, right? Ugh. I hope I die in this place I'm sitting in right now. lol
In september. And yes a hassle. Slowly going to sell off some tanks before then and buy the permanent ones (for real this time).

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
In september. And yes a hassle. Slowly going to sell off some tanks before then and buy the permanent ones (for real this time).

LOL - tanks are ALWAYS for "real" lol - until you see another one you want more....LOL