The Pet Works - Olympia

Madness

Staff member
Visited here yesterday and my rankings above remain the same. Very cool place with all types of fish. Picked up another piece of wood out of one of their tanks, this one is hollow.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Overall Experience 4
Cost 4
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 5

Visit on 03MAR21. Tanks were clean and they had a good variety of specimens available. There was only one employee working the fish area which meant I had to wait a bit to get helped but this allowed me to peruse the tanks at my leisure. Very good selection of fancy L numbers. L260 Queen Arabesque Pleco, Medussa, vampire, L066, and a royal. I nearly purchased the L260. Shamelessly stolen picture.
Sold them 50 BNP fry for store credit.
1617812782622.png

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Will no longer be carrying African cichlids as they do not have a good market. They will still special order though if guaranteed to purchase.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Will no longer be carrying African cichlids as they do not have a good market. They will still special order though if guaranteed to purchase.
Any idea what they have access to for special order? If it's just garden variety stuff it hardly seems worth the bother, but if they can get some of the more exotic fishes then maybe it's worth looking into. Still hard to beat what's available online. Except for some SAE's, I haven't bought any fishes at a LFS in at least 15 years. :eek:

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Any idea what they have access to for special order? If it's just garden variety stuff it hardly seems worth the bother, but if they can get some of the more exotic fishes then maybe it's worth looking into. Still hard to beat what's available online. Except for some SAE's, I haven't bought any fishes at a LFS in at least 15 years. :eek:
Their stock comes from The Cichlid Exchange/The Wet Spot. I'm not sure they bring in the rarer species.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just went on Friday and very sad to see tons of dead fish scattered through multiple tanks. The stock in general looked okay but all the dead fish was a concern.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Stopped by today and many of the tanks were empty or “under observation.” I spoke with one of the fish room guys and the store had been using a supplier other than The Wet Spot. Initially the stock were good but after a few orders the stock began dying and wiping out everything with in the tank. They have stopped using the supplier.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Stopped by today and many of the tanks were empty or “under observation.” I spoke with one of the fish room guys and the store had been using a supplier other than The Wet Spot. Initially the stock were good but after a few orders the stock began dying and wiping out everything with in the tank. They have stopped using the supplier.
Thanks for the update, I noticed that there seemed to be tank/fish issues with quite a few recent visits. That explains a lot. Did you get an idea as to who was being used as a replacement?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Overall Experience 5
Cost 4
Quality of Fish N/A
Variety N/A
Service 5

Stopped in to look at fish and buy a pleco cave. I did not rate the fish because they obviously are trying to recover from something and the stock is pretty bad at the moment. My review is basically based off the price and service in general. I had a nice conversation with one of the fish guys about plecos since mine have bred but have had challenges to get many fry out of them so a pleco cave was purchased to see if things might improve with this addition. Everyone there was friendly and on a Sunday late afternoon the shop was quiet and they had plenty of time to spend with everyone. Hopefully they get their tanks all fixed and refilled with stock again soon.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Overall Experience 5
Cost 4
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 4
Service 5

Had wanted to rehome two Bocourti and thought to call Pet Works to see if they would take them for credit. They agreed and gave me a very fair amount for them. I ended up getting two apisto for my 46 bowfront.

FCBF0A5B-24D9-4D55-A0BC-F83CFAA00D48.jpeg
Selection was a bit limited but fish all looked good. Was very happy with the trade and the fish I got.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Overall Experience 5
Cost 4
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 4
Service 5

Had wanted to rehome two Bocourti and thought to call Pet Works to see if they would take them for credit. They agreed and gave me a very fair amount for them. I ended up getting two apisto for my 46 bowfront.

View attachment 12065
Selection was a bit limited but fish all looked good. Was very happy with the trade and the fish I got.
Did you get a pair?

Seattle_Aquarist

Overall Experience 5
Cost 4
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 4
Service 5

I've visited the store twice from Renton. It is always clean, well stocked including some unusual plants and fish. I use my GSAS Membership Card for a 10% discount on fish and plants and a 5% discount on dry goods. -Roy