Swim bladder disorder?

CrashSmAshley

I got 6 neon tetras yesterday and one acts like he has a swim bladder disorder. He can't really swim and when he tries he winds up doing somersaults and spins around. His color is normal and can balance himself pretty well when staying in one spot. He won't eat either but it doesn't seem like NTD. None of my other tetras act like this. He's in a bag floating in the tank so the water stays around 79 degrees and he can still see the other neons. I tried giving a piece of a thawed pea but he left it alone. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks!

Kianna

Neons don't normally have swim bladder problems but its possible especially if its something internal like parasites or bacterial infection. Whirling disease has alot of the same symptoms and I've read that its linked with NTD. Whats strange is his colors still good?? Usually neons and cardinals color fade really bad at the first sign of anything wrong.

If you can I'd QT him--- that would probably be best. I'd not feed for 2 days and keep the temp up to about 79 and keep the water really clean. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Kingstature

Kianna said:
Neons don't normally have swim bladder problems but its possible especially if its something internal like parasites or bacterial infection. Whirling disease has alot of the same symptoms and I've read that its linked with NTD. Whats strange is his colors still good?? Usually neons and cardinals color fade really bad at the first sign of anything wrong.

If you can I'd QT him--- that would probably be best. I'd not feed for 2 days and keep the temp up to about 79 and keep the water really clean. Sorry I can't be of more help!
Ash, do a salt bath in a qt tank for a week at 82 degrees, he should be fine or take him back before he dies and get money back or heathy neon...

Lilydog

If your 1 neon is the only syptomatic one I would just cull it. When in school the uw sanctioned say to "euthenize" a fish is just enough water to cover it's back and directly into freezer. Being cold blooded they just go to sleep. I wouldn't tell shop details, less is more. Just get it back before warranty expires. It sounds like either an internal bacterial infection ( highly possible ntd) or viral. Antibiotics aren't cheap 12-20$ depending on size quarantine tank. Viral are considered n/t and nothing can be done. Also antibiotics always mess up your bacterial filter stability and almost always end up with new tank syndrome all over again and a need to re-cycle your denitrifying bacteria. If you treat your primary tank you often loose more of your healhy fish due to antibiotic induced new tank sydrome. Way easier (&cheaper) to just cull out one syptomatic fish. If it were highly contageous (such as ich for example) your other fish would exhibit symptoms within 48hours. Just what I would do.
-lilydog

lars on

Another quick way is clove oil, luls them to sleep, then you add more and it kills them. Im gonna pick some up within the next week for a betta whose got severe dropsy.