SW - considering taking the plunge.

clownie

I would probably have one facing straight forward, the other forward but at a 45 degree angle. Make sense???

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
clownie said:
I would probably have one facing straight forward, the other forward but at a 45 degree angle. Make sense???

Yeup, both in either a clock wise or a counter clockwise flow patter so they aren't fighting each other?

clownie

UV light isn't needed. If you use a canister you will have to clean it frequently so your nitrates levels won't explode. In SW you want to keep your nitrates as close to 0 as possible. FW is more lenient with respect to nitrate.

clownie

The floss/sponge thing that catches actual debris is what you what to rinse out. What else is in a 5 stage?

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
It can really be anything I want it to be but it says this: The four flexible media trays allow you to add other filtration media such as SunSun's activated carbons, ceramic rings or bio-balls (each sold separately) to achieve excellent mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration. A built in 9 Watt UV sterilizer helps control algae spores/bacteria and promotes clear water.

clownie

I won't bank on that UV doing too much. I would run filter pad of some sort and carbon. Check the pad once a week in the beginning,as needed after that. I change my carbon once a month to start and then once every two months after that. NO BIO BALLS

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Is carbon necessary? I don't run it in any of my FW tanks and prefer to keep it that way. It removes trace minerals, I don't like that.

clownie

They produce nitrates really fast! It's not that they're bad more like too efficient! You will eventually have problems keeping your trates in check.