SW - considering taking the plunge.

clownie

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
I'm not sure that light will fit on top of my tank :( Do you know the exact dimensions of it?
Not quite sure of the size. What size do you need and what light were you looking at?

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
The tank is 20" from left to right side and from the widest part of the bow front to the back of the tank is 13". But I would like a portion of that to remain open from the light to lift the lid for feeding without having to move the light.

clownie

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Does sand color matter as long as it is live marine sand?
No it doesn't although the color selection for Aragonite sand is either black or white .

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Okay cool. I have been impressed with their FW lights so I figured their SW would probably work as well.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
clownie said:
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
No it doesn't although the color selection for Aragonite sand is either black or white .

Is aragonite better to use? I like the looks of the black sand though better. It seems to make the rock/coral/fish colors pop more.

clownie

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
clownie said:
ShortyKiloGyrl said:

Is aragonite better to use? I like the looks of the black sand though better. It seems to make the rock/coral/fish colors pop more.

It doesn't matter. A lot of people buy live sand but it's not necessary if your buying live rock.

clownie

I run high end sps tanks, and like to keep my phosphate,nitrate at 0 (ultra low nutrients) so I don't use sand in my tank. I have in the past, and with 90% of the corals out there it's fine to do it. I just choose not to in this tank. I also run a frag tank with no sand but that is just to keep costs low on the frag tank.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Oh I like it! What do you suggest for powerhead(s) for the 16 gallon? I've talked to a 25+ year reef keeper who said 2-3 small ones in my tank would be fine.

clownie

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Oh I like it! What do you suggest for powerhead(s) for the 16 gallon? I've talked to a 25+ year reef keeper who said 2-3 small ones in my tank would be fine.
Flow means a lot in a reef tank and you want the pumps to move around 20-30 times your water volume per hour. There are many brands that will work but i can vouch for Hydor Koralia Nano,JBJ Oceanstream, EcoTech Marine are ones I have used. There is also Jaebo that are getting really good reviews at an awesome price point

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
So if I were to have 2-3 pumps would I want each pump to be 20-30 times the water volume or would I divide that 20-30 times volume between the 2-3 pumps?

clownie

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
So if I were to have 2-3 pumps would I want each pump to be 20-30 times the water volume or would I divide that 20-30 times volume between the 2-3 pumps?
Divide between the two pumps.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Oh okay, well that's easy enough. Would I place one near the top of the tank and one near the bottom in the other half of the tank? Both have flow facing the same direction?

clownie

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Oh okay, well that's easy enough. Would I place one near the top of the tank and one near the bottom in the other half of the tank? Both have flow facing the same direction?

That is decision I will leave to you. There are countless combinations, just try something that doesn't create deadspots that don't get any flow. The idea of the flow is to emulate the flow of the tides ,that help remove organic waste from around the polyps.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Hmmm, lol Since I have no idea since I've never done SW before. Do you want it facing in the same direction atleast?