SW - considering taking the plunge.

Bob

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
How many cardinals and damsels do you have exactly? I was thinking about 3-4 fish max but it sounds like I could do more? I was thinking 2 shrimp, a goby, a blenny, and a clown. But I really like the cardinal species and it makes it funny to say when people ask because it's my last name. lol

I only have one Cardinal, i read they can be aggressive towards each other if they are both males, and since they seem super hard to sex i don't want to risk it. I have 2 Damsels but they are super aggressive towards each other and the cardinal. So i am getting rid of them tomorrow and getting a little wrasse. Don't remember the exact type of wrasse but apparently they are good at picking algae off live rock. I will stick to the 2 fish for now, i will add a goby or blenny after six months to make sure there is enough crap for it to sift through in the sand. Might get more shrimps though, i love me the shrimps.

Bob

Probably depends on type, i know some are not reef safe. When i researched i found quite a few that were listed as peaceful, and a lot that were supposed to be aggressive too. I have spent a few hours in the store watching it, it doesnt really seem to care about anything other than picking at the rocks lol, and it hides a lot.

edit: i just cant seem to think of the name right now, its right there on the end of my tongue..... I have it on my pc at home, ill check when im off work.

Bob

I really want a Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse, but they are a little too expensive for a novice like me. I'll wait until i am more comfortable with salt before i start getting expensive fish.

Just be sure you are able to facilitate SOME kind of skimmer...my .02. And pics be damned...I sold Vic those tanks at a steal so I verify it DID happen. And quit frettin the SW unknown. SERIOUSLY not the monumental learning curve you are all makin it out to be!! And NEVER regret the change. The level of biodiversity in marine world is fantastic.

My $.02

TFP

Bob

TheFishPimp said:
quit frettin the SW unknown. SERIOUSLY not the monumental learning curve you are all makin it out to be!! And NEVER regret the change. The level of biodiversity in marine world is fantastic.
TFP

It really has not been hard at all, way easier than i originally thought. Also helps that there is a local salt water store here (Aqua Pets) that has been very helpful. I originally planned to do a FOWLR setup, but in the end i couldnt resist the corals. I mean how cool is this?

https://youtu.be/APlfHEqS-QY

clownie

I have been doing saltwater for over 30 years now. With a tank that small you won't be able to get very many fish in ti. Look at the smaller fish like http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124

Also use live rock to help with filtering, use about a pound per gallon. A skimmer could help , but doing weekly water changes should be enough as long as you keep your bio load small enough. You don't need expensive lights if you're just doing a FOWL (fish only with live rock). But if you're thinking coral also here are some good resorces for you.
Nano Reef Forum
http://www.nano-reef.com/

Reef Frontiers is a local SW Forum
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/content/

Then you can also PM me with anything specific you can't find an answer for! HTH!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I had planned on weekly water changes at the same time of all my FW tanks. I planned on a 2" live sand substrate with 16lbs of live rock. And maybe some low light corals. Maybe. I don't plan on a ton of fish in it at max maybe 3-4 depending upon the size of fish I choose to put in there. And maybe 2 shrimp? However, the more I research in to it the easier it seems to be able to achieve.

clownie

It really isn't that much harder then FW. Just have to set aside the time for the maintenance. Reading your last post , I would go ahead and purchase lighting for coral now. Once you start with the low light stuff you will want more! Might as well spend for one light then two!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I was looking into the Current USA Orbit Marine LED actually. Would that work well in that tank for corals? What would you suggest for fish in that size of a tank?

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Would the 3-4 fish ratio depending upon size be okay then? I really like cardinals and would like one Pterapogon kauderni since it's my last name too lol :) and I've always liked Amphiprion ocellaris and considered getting one of those for the tank. Then maybe a firefish and a goby?

clownie

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Would the 3-4 fish ratio depending upon size be okay then? I really like cardinals and would like one Pterapogon kauderni since it's my last name too lol :) and I've always liked Amphiprion ocellaris and considered getting one of those for the tank. Then maybe a firefish and a goby?
That selection would be fine!