SW - considering taking the plunge.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
So I'm on the quest for information and using multiple FB groups to do research and talk to fellow SW keepers and possibly going to take the SW plunge!!!

FOWLR in a 16 gallon set up is the route I'm heading. Just lots of research ahead of me. Does ANYONE on here keep SW tanks?

ziggyzoo

lol your just like me, i have been thinking the same thing. i'm always on the look out for a fully setup biocube 14-30 gallon for under $150

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
You won't find one for that unless someone is desperate unfortunately. Just the light alone costs $150 for a 18-24" size.

ziggyzoo

I always jump on it, they respond to my surprise, then i back out cause i'm just not ready yet lol
If i find anymore, ill text ya the link. they have been out by me though.

ziggyzoo

well , i guess i didnt mean setups exactly like that. They were more like established as in up and running with a clown fish pair, and rocks. Nothing cool like the live rocks with stuff on em

ziggyzoo

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
I'd be very leary that the tank is unstable or sick if that's the case.

agreed. :) thats why i always back out. I just don't know ANYTHING about salt water so I would have no clue how to tell if anything was wrong.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
The tank I'm researching to set up is a 16 gallon. It was previously set up as brackish so I'm using it to go for full SW :)

flamechica

My hubby really wants me to take on a salt water tank. I just don't think I am ready for all that. I told him he is more than welcome to set up his own tank. I don't think he liked that idea, since he doesn't want to be the one that has to do the maintenence. Lol!

Bob

I picked up a 14 gallon bio cube and a 9 gallon fluval both fully set up for salt water for $100 from a member here. The deals are out there. So far i have only set up the 14 gallon biocube. Took out the stock lighting and put in a couple finnex marine leds, Carib sea live bahama sand, 7 pieces of good sized live rock. 1 cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, small handful of red and blue leg hermit crabs, Banggai Cardinalfish and a couple of blue damsels. I only have one type of coral, Pulsing Xenia, probably be the only coral i put in it, grows like wild fire. Been running for about two months now with no issues so far (knock on wood)

I would highly recommend it, it's not anymore difficult than planted tanks maybe easier.

A

Anonymous

Vicmacki said:
I picked up a 14 gallon bio cube and a 9 gallon fluval both fully set up for salt water for $100 from a member here. The deals are out there. So far i have only set up the 14 gallon biocube. Took out the stock lighting and put in a couple finnex marine leds, Carib sea live bahama sand, 7 pieces of good sized live rock. 1 cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, small handful of red and blue leg hermit crabs, Banggai Cardinalfish and a couple of blue damsels. I only have one type of coral, Pulsing Xenia, probably be the only coral i put in it, grows like wild fire. Been running for about two months now with no issues so far (knock on wood)

I would highly recommend it, it's not anymore difficult than planted tanks maybe easier.
Pictures or it didn't happen ;)

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Vicmacki said:

How many cardinals and damsels do you have exactly? I was thinking about 3-4 fish max but it sounds like I could do more? I was thinking 2 shrimp, a goby, a blenny, and a clown. But I really like the cardinal species and it makes it funny to say when people ask because it's my last name. lol

ziggyzoo

If you set up a tank, and ever do make it out to Seattle, the fish store always has good saltwater fish. I have seen some creatures there the no other shop has. Some cool urchins and stuff.