Super CO2 Diffuser by Archaea

A

Anonymous

I was just going to update a thread with this find but it started sounding like a review so thought I would just post here.

Reading about these on the internet I was hesitant on picking one up due to its 35 psi recommendation. My CO2 regulator is equipped with a flow meter, and split 3 ways. So I was concerned about providing the psi needed to run this diffuser correctly.

I did some conversation math and realized my flow meter was just producing 30psi (actually more like 26-28psi).

While at a LFS I was checking out their defusers. They are a carrier of ADA products and I was looking for a larger type ceramic diffuser than other LFS are carrying. ADA products are magnificent but are very expencive. The store owner directed me to this diffuser/atomizer. It's the same one I seen on the web. Having it in my hands I jumped on the purchase. I was still concerned about being able to power it but I was confident I could DYI, manipulate my system.

Upon hook up it ran perfect. Plug n play, no manipulation or anything. The bubbles are super fine and there is a ton of them. It states in the instructions that pressurized tubing must be used. Not the tubing used for airlines nor anything like it. Over the years I have adapted to using harder lines for my gas delivery systems. The type I have been using is the same that's used in refrigerator water systems. The rigged line allows more tunable gas flow without expanding air lines. This is especially important when those lines are more than 4 foot long, and split.

I am definitely liking this diffuser. It's rating is for larger tanks for upto 100+ gallons. This diffuser is in a 140 gallon set up with a sump .

A

Anonymous

Re: Super CO2 diffuser

It rocks! I put CO2 drop checkers on each end of my 7 foot tank and both are turning yellow. I added the diffuser late in the day. Tomorrow I'll check the drop checkers and PH in the AM and then in the afternoon. I also have a Red Sea 500 CO2 blender in the sump. But any combos I've used with that blender never was able to put enough CO2 into the water to budge the drop checkers.

How are these holding up for you, fishNAbowl?

I'm thinking of getting two from Green Leaf Aquarium, although, I'm not sure which ones I should get... would two 45mm be adequate enough for a 55 gallon tank? I was thinking of setting them up on each side of the tank... maaaybe.. or just have one larger one on one side of the tank, and just have the spraybar from my filter, "push" the mist/bubbles all over the tank.

A

Anonymous

This thing rocks! I have the larger one on one end of my 140. I have since disconnected my reactor and am only using this defuser/atomizer. This defuser is 2 feet deep and above it sits a powerhead. The pump catches some of the misting bubbles but not all. I also have 2 drop checkers, one at both ends. They are both green...

Either way Poke, I would recommend something to be able monitor CO2 levels. It is easy to over do it.

I'm heading to Seattle tomorrow, for a fire gig, and figured I could stop by at Aquarium Zen, to buy that type of diffuser, instead of having to wait for a couple days, if I were to order it online. LOL...

I might pick up a drop checker if they have any. :D

tazeat

I have a single 60mm GLA atomic in my 55g acrylic now (single 48" planted+)... It seems to do fine on its own, but I use a fair amount of circulation from powerheads and the filter output to get the water to somewhat flow in a circle. I don't typically let my drop checker turn yellow, as long as it's a lighter green I'm happy. Any more and the fish start to get sluggish and I don't like that. Where I have it set now everything seems to be happy, plants are growing like crazy. I get a small bit of BBA on the slower growing plants, but the SAEs seem to eat some of it, but that may be more of a fertilization issue.

ETA: Pictures viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10890

Very nice! Looks like I will just go with one super diffuser. I will hopefully be picking one up later this evening :)

Now that I have my own Super co2 Diffuser, I'd like to show everyone how the bubbles look like with this thing.
First off, I'd like to thank fishNAbowl for writing the initial review about this diffuser. I was hesitant at first, because I didn't think I would like it, because it didn't look stylish like most of the glass diffusers looked. Well, I definitely am in love with it, even more so than my glass diffusers!

That being said, there are a couple things that I would like to address, for anyone that might consider buying one or more of these, DO NOT TOUCH THE CERAMIC TUBE... any debris, oil, or anything, could possibly compromise the quality of the bubbles. This actually applies to ANY ceramic diffuser (the ceramic disks on glass diffusers, namely)... but I figured I'd stress this point again, especially with this diffuser.

I also noticed that when I first plugged it in and pumped co2 through it, the bubbles came out bigger than I had expected. About the same size as a glass co2 diffuser. But as I left it running, the bubbles turned into a fine mist. Exactly how I had imagined it would be! Awesome!

For the price, it's not bad. Considering that other glass diffusers run a little cheaper, HOWEVER...the quality that you're paying for with this diffuser is very well worth it. I've read people saying that they've had this type of diffuser running for months without having to clean it, and the ones that have cleaned it, have said that there hasn't been any noticeable decrease in quality, as far as bubble size is concerned.

I will add more info and details as I see fit. I'm hungry. And it's time for dinner. So. Yeah. FOOD.

(*Note, you'll have to watch them in HD to really see how small the bubbles are. Otherwise, you'll just see a blurry pixelated mess if you watch it anything below 720p)

[youtube]5aVOgudeybI[/youtube]
[youtube]LcCyIQCgy3c[/youtube]
[youtube]UjdEdMwfxS8[/youtube]

dleblanc

I wonder how much CO2 you go through with these? With a good reactor, no bubbles ever get into the tank - only way out is to dissolve.

Reactor is my next step. Having a reactor is usually the best way to dissolve co2, alas. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

Granted, I do have a guilty pleasure of seeing the bubbles though. Hehehehehe!!!

If you can find me a reactor that is best bang for your buck, And isn't DIY, let me know. :p

A

Anonymous

^ I too like to see the system running :) . I've tried a few reactors and made twice as many. None could perform in my 140 without a secondary and even 3 different defusers running all at the same time.

Currently the above atomizer is the only thing running in my large tank and is keeping a consistent level of desolved CO2 in the water. My mind is always open to new ideas though :) I am interested in what others are using in their large tanks. I created a thread some time ago asking but got no response. So if anyone would care to share what they use in their large tanks please share.

See.... If I had a sump with my 55 gallon tank, that wouldn't be a problem. However, since my tank isn't drilled (nor do I have any plans do drill it), I think the current setup I have is the best way to introduce co2 into the water.

I wouldn't want anything too clunky looking in the tank, so keeping that reactor in my tank is out of the question. :p

And no, I will not use a hang on back overflow. I'm too paranoid to put my trust on those. Hahahahaha.

A

Anonymous

dleblanc

You don't need a sump. I have one of the EXT5000 units in my 55 - I just put it inline with the return coming out of the canister. It obviously wouldn't work with a HOB unit, but the smaller one would.

How long ago did you put in the previous tank? I should weigh the next tank I have filled so I can tell how much is left. All I really know is that the 55 gallon tank has not used 10# in a year, but I don't know if it has used 5# or 9# so far.

Oh, I thought that they had to be inside the tank fornit to work like an internal filter. I spose I was wrong lol. With that, I may just try that out when I save enough money for one!

Thanks for the info.