substrate cleaner?

aaronfeeney

What critter would dig in and clean the substrate, maybe some sort of invert? that lives in the sand and feeds on fish poop and debris?

rattle1972

i know that geophagus cichlids aka eartheaters, will spend there time sifting through substrate to feed. i had a couple alongg time ago. they were pretty cool to watch. they would spend all ther time just picking up rocks then spitting them back out. i wasnt very patient back then, they were not very nice looking, so i gave them to a friend. and then they colored up and looked real pretty. they were very peacefull also...

here is a artical about them.
http://www.kwas.ca/Articles/article26.pdf

GoodnNuff

Malaysian Trumpet Snails will plow through and below substrate to clean it, as will Assassin Snails, though not to the degree that MTS do.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, Nerites will kill any algae, but not substrate. I need some substrate cleaners as well.

lilfishie

Spyral said:
but are they good cleaners?
Well you know that is what they supposedly do and I would have to say yeah, they do their part. That doesnt mean you will not have to syphon the substrate while doing water changes. I still do that with every water change.

aaronfeeney

I thought clams were filter feeders, drawing in water and nutrients through their neck/siphon then filtering out particles before spewing the water back out.??

A

Anonymous

Aaron, forget it, I am buying all the clams at Midway! lol