(Substrate) Black Diamond Sand Blasting Media

JACorso

Anybody local used it? Lots of info/debate online. The ferrous metals and some other stuff on the MSDS are a little scary but there are plenty of guys out there using it without (verifiable) ill effects and it looks great. The price tag looks especially good - 50lbs = 8 bucks).

Probably gonna do it unless somebody tells me they lost all their fish etc./etc. Sponge covers on filter intakes were already part of the plan.

UPDATE: Don't do it unless you love the look of Diatoms in your tank (high silica content). It's not harmful, just ugly.

Last edited:

Betty

Staff member
Just something to look out for -- I had a different brand of blasting sand, so it might not be the same, but the sand I used scratched the glass at the bottom where it touched it. My fish liked to dig and sift through it (with no obvious harm to them), but I started to notice a lot of small scratches so I ended up removing the sand. I don't see this in the tanks that have pool filter sand.

Again, it was a different brand and my fish move a lot of sand, but if it bothers you to see scratches on the glass, keep an eye on it at first and make sure it isn't a problem with that brand of blasting sand.

clownie

It's true Betty. If you use an algae magnet like I do...if some gets in-between them it will scratch the glass.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

JACorso

Good input, thanks. The 260 this stuff is going in is acrylic so no magnets (I use the squeegee/brush like at gas stations) and the bottom's already pretty trashed. Nothing a good buff wouldn't fix but I'm not overly concerned about panes I can't see. Thanks again