Stock change, what was I thinking? More bichirs

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I saw in Cory's recent unboxing that there are some threadfin rainbows he unboxed. Not sure if he still has them at this point though.

Threadfin Tetras or Threadfin Rainbows? I need the Tetra variety for Mr. Lonely over here since both his wives got eated.

julzhull

Threadfin Tetras or Threadfin Rainbows? I need the Tetra variety for Mr. Lonely over here since both his wives got eated.
Interesting. It seems a lot of the info on Threadfin Tetras turns into Threadfin Rainbows when I google. o_O It was Threadfin Rainbows that Cory gets I think.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Interesting. It seems a lot of the info on Threadfin Tetras turns into Threadfin Rainbows when I google. o_O It was Threadfin Rainbows that Cory gets I think.

Well I got my tetra trio from him. Well, Robert. Actually Ali was the one that talked me into them *took about a second*. I've come to really enjoy them. It makes me sad he's all alone.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Okay, so back on the topic of bichirs.

The beast came out, Dabola endli (Croc)

Faranah lap (Hulk) and Ansorgii (Nom Nom)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Dont see polys mate or have offspring in the aquarium and commercially they end up using hormones to make it happen. But I have been seeing breeding behavior from my male ansorgii. The male has a very large anal fin and it has been flexing it and cupping and holding like it is ready to mate. This action has not been directed at any other poly just yet.

Since there is only one ansorgii in the tank IF anything did happen I would end up with a hybrid poly. most likely a Ansorgii x lap (2 females) or Ansorgii x endli (1 female) combo.

FishBeast

Dont see polys mate or have offspring in the aquarium and commercially they end up using hormones to make it happen. But I have been seeing breeding behavior from my male ansorgii. The male has a very large anal fin and it has been flexing it and cupping and holding like it is ready to mate. This action has not been directed at any other poly just yet.

Since there is only one ansorgii in the tank IF anything did happen I would end up with a hybrid poly. most likely a Ansorgii x lap (2 females) or Ansorgii x endli (1 female) combo.
OMG that is awesome!! i saw a video in which a spawning mop was used...! I hope something happens with your polys!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing new added. Been busy with projects around the house so I reduced feeding to keep tank maintenance down. Saw an increase in aggression with the endli biting on the tail of the koliba and side fin of the weeksii. Started to increase feeding again and it seems to have settled down a little.

Just a recent pic of the ansorgii

FishBeast

Endlis are such bullies... haha. Mine is still nipping and biting but the aggression is diffused among the others.
Nessie's looking good despite the fin damage.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A few lame pics but at least a real time update of some of the fish in the 300

The 3 laps. Nigerian in the front, Koliba in the middle and Faranah in the back.

Good old Nom Nom the Ansorgii always ready for a picture

Croc the Dabola Endli in back, Speck the Nigerian in front, tail of Koliba on left and head of Hulk the Faranah on right. Notice the Koliba still does not have a name, lol

Porkchop the pearsei says 'hi'. The tank really looks bare with just the two upper swimmers. This is were I really want to add something but another cichlid? Still thinking about this.

Just a blur but here is Monty the het. the other cichlid in the tank. Pretty little compared to Porkchop but is a feisty little male and will go head to head with the female pearsei. He will back down and run if she gets serious with him but its fun to watch him think he is all that.

Just a long overdue update