Spotted Congo Puffer craze!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I would love more information on these puffers!!

Tank size required:
Does it eat tank mates:
Does it eat plants:
Does it rip up plants:
Can other foods be fed than bloodworms (I'm allergic):
How much do they roughly cost to get:
Where did you purchase one from:
Sponge filter work for these or would a HOB/Canister filter be better for water flow:

I appreciate any info! I love puffers and had a Green Spotted Puffer. Loved the puffer, didn't enjoy the brackish water upkeep. These look so similar to the GSP! I also had pea puffers but they would only eat blood worms and it was a huge ordeal to feed since I had to glove up to even touch their food. :(

julzhull

Hahaha.. What did he do now? Is are those bubble from his fart? ;););)
Ha! Maybe from the sponge filter behind him. That was the top view of when he was hiding last night. He's such a funny guy. I got worried for a minute when he wouldn't move even when I stuck my finger in there (maybe not smart?). So I got some tongs in there and he finally slowly moved away like he just didn't care. Still getting used to his personality.

Mike16T

Ha! Maybe from the sponge filter behind him. That was the top view of when he was hiding last night. He's such a funny guy. I got worried for a minute when he wouldn't move even when I stuck my finger in there (maybe not smart?). So I got some tongs in there and he finally slowly moved away like he just didn't care. Still getting used to his personality.

Have you tried feeding him frozen blood worms using tongs?

julzhull

Have you tried feeding him frozen blood worms using tongs?
I did the other night. He didn't seem too interested but I dropped some and I think he ate them eventually. I think he is still snacking on resident snails in that tank whenever he gets hungry so we're not on a regular feeding regimen yet. I'll probably try some blood worms again tonight.

Mike16T

I did the other night. He didn't seem too interested but I dropped some and I think he ate them eventually. I think he is still snacking on resident snails in that tank whenever he gets hungry so we're not on a regular feeding regimen yet. I'll probably try some blood worms again tonight.
If you have a lot of snails in the tank, don't worry about frozen blood worms yet. He will always hunt for snails. Did that plenty of times where I tried feeding him frozen blood worms, but he is not interested so I just left it in the bottom of the tank and let my other fish go crazy for it. You will know if he's hungry, when his belly is almost flat. =)

julzhull

I always monitor his belly make sure it's round and not completely flat. That's why his fat.. Hhahaha..
I've definitely been watching his belly, but it's always a bit curved so I was hoping it's OK that I go off of that. I definitely haven't seen any flat belly yet.

I didn't think there were that many snails in there but they just pop up out of nowhere.

Does his back fin ever flare out? My fahaka flares his back fin out sometimes but I haven't seen Hoppy do that yet.

Mike16T

I've definitely been watching his belly, but it's always a bit curved so I was hoping it's OK that I go off of that. I definitely haven't seen any flat belly yet.

I didn't think there were that many snails in there but they just pop up out of nowhere.

Does his back fin ever flare out? My fahaka flares his back fin out sometimes but I haven't seen Hoppy do that yet.
He does.. His not easy going. He will play hard to get (Fin flare). If he's on his active moment and not lazy bum, if you watch him from far away, he will constantly flare but once you get near for a close up, he will close it and hide it from you. I only seen him flare in front of me 5 times ever since I got him. I always see him flare from far away though.. Trust me, he's a diva. hahaha

julzhull

Tank size required:
Does it eat tank mates:
Does it eat plants:
Does it rip up plants:
Sponge filter work for these or would a HOB/Canister filter be better for water flow:

I appreciate any info! I love puffers and had a Green Spotted Puffer. Loved the puffer, didn't enjoy the brackish water upkeep. These look so similar to the GSP! I also had pea puffers but they would only eat blood worms and it was a huge ordeal to feed since I had to glove up to even touch their food. :(
I'm still learning about these guys but I have a little bit of knowledge. I know there are others in this group that know more.

Tank size required: I don't know this right off hand but I would think they can do a minimum of 15-20?
Does it eat tank mates: These are known to be peaceful with other fish (which is why I was interested in this guy). Definitely not safe with snails and probably shrimp but I'm not sure on that one.
Does it eat plants: Ask @Mike16T about that one ;) From what I have read they can nip at plants to hunt for snails so I wouldn't put them with pricey plants.
Does it rip up plants: I don't think they'd rip them up out of substrate...but I'm not sure.
Can other foods be fed than bloodworms (I'm allergic): They eat snails, not sure what else although I'm sure there are other options. I plan on supplementing with bloodworms.
How much do they roughly cost to get: They're pricey towards $200
Where did you purchase one from: I adopted mine from @Mike16T but I know Aquarium Co-Op has gotten them in and I think the Wetspot has them sometimes.
Sponge filter work for these or would a HOB/Canister filter be better for water flow: He's got a sponge filter temporarily but I'm putting him in a tank with a canister. I think puffers like a good flow since you'd find ones like these in rivers.

Mike16T

I'm still learning about these guys but I have a little bit of knowledge. I know there are others in this group that know more.

Tank size required: I don't know this right off hand but I would think they can do a minimum of 15-20?
Does it eat tank mates: These are known to be peaceful with other fish (which is why I was interested in this guy). Definitely not safe with snails and probably shrimp but I'm not sure on that one.
Does it eat plants: Ask @Mike16T about that one ;) From what I have read they can nip at plants to hunt for snails so I wouldn't put them with pricey plants.
Does it rip up plants: I don't think they'd rip them up out of substrate...but I'm not sure.
Can other foods be fed than bloodworms (I'm allergic): They eat snails, not sure what else although I'm sure there are other options. I plan on supplementing with bloodworms.
How much do they roughly cost to get: They're pricey towards $200
Where did you purchase one from: I adopted mine from @Mike16T but I know Aquarium Co-Op has gotten them in and I think the Wetspot has them sometimes.
Sponge filter work for these or would a HOB/Canister filter be better for water flow: He's got a sponge filter temporarily but I'm putting him in a tank with a canister. I think puffers like a good flow since you'd find ones like these in rivers.

Hoppy love current just to let you know.. =)

julzhull

Hoppy love current just to let you know.. =)
I'm going to get him in a tank with current as soon as I decide which tank he'll live in :) He does love the bubbles from the sponge filter though. I've got sponge filters in my other two tanks so he'll be a happy guy.

I suppose he'd be easy to catch if we put him in the 210g and I decided that I wanted him in my smaller tank...I just can't decide :confused::confused::confused:

Mike16T

I'm going to get him in a tank with current as soon as I decide which tank he'll live in :) He does love the bubbles from the sponge filter though. I've got sponge filters in my other two tanks so he'll be a happy guy.

I suppose he'd be easy to catch if we put him in the 210g and I decided that I wanted him in my smaller tank...I just can't decide :confused::confused::confused:

Hahaha... He'll be happy enough in a 30+ gallon. He's been happy in my small tank..

L190

Tank size required:
Does it eat tank mates:
Does it eat plants:
Does it rip up plants:

I'm not sure about tank size but mine is living in a 100 gallon tank with a leichardti arowana, Mine does not eat it's tank mates, mine does not eat or rip up plants but i hear hoppy does. I feed mine frozen krill, black worms, snails, clams, frozen shrimp, and shrimp culls in addition to blood worms. I got mine at wetspot. Cheapest i've seen online is $125 but they did not have pictures of them so it could be a mislabeled puffer. In my tank i have both sponge filter and HOB.

KnownToSome

I'm not sure about tank size but mine is living in a 100 gallon tank with a leichardti arowana, Mine does not eat it's tank mates, mine does not eat or rip up plants but i hear hoppy does. I feed mine frozen krill, black worms, snails, clams, frozen shrimp, and shrimp culls in addition to blood worms. I got mine at wetspot. Cheapest i've seen online is $125 but they did not have pictures of them so it could be a mislabeled puffer. In my tank i have both sponge filter and HOB.
Min tank size 30 gal

Cole

There are a few people online selling them in the $125-$150 range. We initially paid $125 for one from Wes (fugupuff) on MFKs, but it was the last one he had at the time. It ended up jumping out of the tank a few days before we were going to get it. I believe he just got some more in recently, but he noted they were skinnier than his previous shipments of them, so he's going to hold them for a little bit. We were immediately refunded our money and I know lots of people have bought super rare fish from him in the past with no issues. We did end up getting ours from The Wet Spot. It was the last one in stock as of last week. I would have bought one locally, if given the chance (ala Aquarium Co-Op), but none of our local stores have the supplier connections to bring in such a rare puffer.

Our little one eats bloodworms, snails, krill, and tiny self cloning crayfish. She's not particularly fond of brine shrimp though. She hasn't even looked twice at the guppies when it comes to seeing them as food. She totally ignores them, from the large adults all the way down to the day old babies. She's our second puffer (the other is a fahaka) and she's just as fun and interactive as Captain Crunch.

Mike16T

There are a few people online selling them in the $125-$150 range. We initially paid $125 for one from Wes (fugupuff) on MFKs, but it was the last one he had at the time. It ended up jumping out of the tank a few days before we were going to get it. I believe he just got some more in recently, but he noted they were skinnier than his previous shipments of them, so he's going to hold them for a little bit. We were immediately refunded our money and I know lots of people have bought super rare fish from him in the past with no issues. We did end up getting ours from The Wet Spot. It was the last one in stock as of last week. I would have bought one locally, if given the chance (ala Aquarium Co-Op), but none of our local stores have the supplier connections to bring in such a rare puffer.

Our little one eats bloodworms, snails, krill, and tiny self cloning crayfish. She's not particularly fond of brine shrimp though. She hasn't even looked twice at the guppies when it comes to seeing them as food. She totally ignores them, from the large adults all the way down to the day old babies. She's our second puffer (the other is a fahaka) and she's just as fun and interactive as Captain Crunch.

T. Shoetedeni doesn't really bother other fishes. They're very peaceful. =) I think the $125 that you're talking about is for the much smaller ones..