Spotted Congo Puffer craze!

julzhull

@julzhull Please post a video of Hoppy when you can.. =)
I'll try to get one tonight. He got cranky Saturday night. We were home late because we went to an M's game. I had turned on the kitchen light (where his temp tank is) and he was facing the kitchen. I went to say hi and he did a 180 and turned his back on me. I think he was upset that I woke him up.

julzhull

It looks like he has staked out his turf.

Yes he has. Our plan was to put him in our 210g but he's smaller than I realized (even though I knew the max size they get). I'm sure he'd enjoy it but I worry he'd get lost in that tank. We have some other options (because we've got 9 tanks). He might like the 46 gallon but I have my colony of assassin snails in there so I'd need to move what I can of those to another tank since I feel like he'd hunt them.

Mike16T

I'll try to get one tonight. He got cranky Saturday night. We were home late because we went to an M's game. I had turned on the kitchen light (where his temp tank is) and he was facing the kitchen. I went to say hi and he did a 180 and turned his back on me. I think he was upset that I woke him up.

Hahahaha.. Yep, he do that to me sometimes.. =) He have so much personality. You'll be surprise... What you don't want to see is him laying on the floor flapping.. =P

Mike16T

Yes he has. Our plan was to put him in our 210g but he's smaller than I realized (even though I knew the max size they get). I'm sure he'd enjoy it but I worry he'd get lost in that tank. We have some other options (because we've got 9 tanks). He might like the 46 gallon but I have my colony of assassin snails in there so I'd need to move what I can of those to another tank since I feel like he'd hunt them.

No snails are safe from him.. =P He's a very good hunter.. ;);)

Mike16T

Did he do that to you? I was wondering how you kept him in that tank with no top.

I was going to get a custom top but I just fill the tank lower water level. I was going to dismantle the tank anyway.. But yes, it does make me nervous all the time.. He jumped out like 5-6 times already. It's mostly when he was hunting for snails at night. What I did is I only put a few snails at a time so that all snails are eaten.

julzhull

I was going to get a custom top but I just fill the tank lower water level. I was going to dismantle the tank anyway.. But yes, it does make me nervous all the time.. He jumped out like 5-6 times already. It's mostly when he was hunting for snails at night. What I did is I only put a few snails at a time so that all snails are eaten.
That's scary! I completely lose my cool when I have a fish that jumped out of a net etc... I was screaming in the house on Saturday because a young pleco flipped himself out of a net and onto the counter. I get worried about picking them up and injuring them further. I'd be a basket case if something else like a puffer ended up out of the water.

Mike16T

That's scary! I completely lose my cool when I have a fish that jumped out of a net etc... I was screaming in the house on Saturday because a young pleco flipped himself out of a net and onto the counter. I get worried about picking them up and injuring them further. I'd be a basket case if something else like a puffer ended up out of the water.

Oh it's nerve racking. First time it happened, He was on the verge of dying. . His skin is already dry when I picked him up, but breathing heavy. I put him back in the tank and he just sank without movement. I saw him still breathing and watched him for 30 minutes. I gave him a little push and he moved and back to normal. lol.

Cole

They will definitely jump from the tank. We were supposed to buy one from MFK, but the one in QT that was spoken for us, jumped out of its tank overnight. So, we ended up buying one from The Wet Spot. Her name is Mystique.

20170621_230820.jpg 20170621_230904.jpg