Sponge Filters - Tube

julzhull

Is it OK to take off the tube on sponge filters? (I'm sure there's a better name for that but I can't be bothered to look it up right now).

My reason in asking is my baby plecos seem to be getting caught in them. I think as they get bigger their fins get caught (they're long fin) and then they can get super stressed and if I don't catch them in time then they die.

So, I'm not sure how beneficial that tube is but I want them gone.

Mike16T

Is it OK to take off the tube on sponge filters? (I'm sure there's a better name for that but I can't be bothered to look it up right now).

My reason in asking is my baby plecos seem to be getting caught in them. I think as they get bigger their fins get caught (they're long fin) and then they can get super stressed and if I don't catch them in time then they die.

So, I'm not sure how beneficial that tube is but I want them gone.

Which tube? The tube inside the sponge? Or the tube that sticking out on the top of the sponge? o_O

Betty

Staff member
I think that tube helps draw more water through the filter and would make it more efficient, but if it's causing harm to the fish, I would try to cover the opening on top with some sort of netting/mesh fabric that would allow the water and bubbles to flow, but keep the fish out. Or remove it if that didn't work. :)

julzhull

I think that tube helps draw more water through the filter and would make it more efficient, but if it's causing harm to the fish, I would try to cover the opening on top with some sort of netting/mesh fabric that would allow the water and bubbles to flow, but keep the fish out. Or remove it if that didn't work. :)
I can try to rig something up like that. Maybe mesh with a little slit for the tubing.

FishBeast

I take off all the riser tubes (i think that's what they're called) on my sponge filters. I don't think they can really hurt fish but aesthetically I like "tubeless" better