Something of the Mouth Advice Please?

KaraWolf

I finally got my lemon tetra yay! And they seem happy as clams dancing around the quarantine tank, but several have something wrong with their mouths. I would liken it to dry skin, the way it looks like it's flaking but they also cant seem to close their mouth right. What should I be treating for?

The one on the bottom in this picture is healthy.

not really sure what's happening, but it's only on their mouths and heads.

A

Anonymous

I can't put a finger on any disease or anything but I have a few fish that seem to have mouth abnormalities. Like a crooked jaw or something...

Anthraxx

they look fine to me, stressed lemons wont show the nice yellow color or the black highlights. id say your just worrying to much.

KaraWolf

Their colors are fine, they were even picking on one another trying to show off that nice black stripe. but if you look at the first picture, the outline around his head isn't the camera being weird, it's something on their faces/in the mouths. When I got them they looked OK. Id want to say it's fungus but it's not fuzzy and looks like peeling skin :/ looks like it's trying to eat their mouth away. :(

Betty

Staff member
I see what you're talking about -- in the second picture it looks a little fuzzy to me. Does their breathing look normal to you? No rapid breathing?

I don't know what it is, but if the species can tolerate it, I would try adding some salt to the water for now and keep a very close eye on them to see if it's spreading. I hope it's just stress from being moved and not something like columnaris/cotton mouth which would require medication to treat.

KaraWolf

:( I lost 2 this morning. Going to take them in and replace them and ask if they know what it might be. I have both bacterial and fungus meds on hand, as well as an acceptable salt.
The one's who can't close their mouth properly are breathing faster then normal, and I just discovered ammonia :( so big fat water change. And probably another tonight plus reduced feedings.

KaraWolf

Took the dead ones back. They have the same thing in their tank the store owner says it's a bacteria infection and sold me meds for it. So hopefully I can cure them XD He's never seen it before either and was calling them zombie fish. lol Wish me luck and thanks for helping :)

A

Anonymous

Something wrong with a store that will sale you sick fish then recommend a good medication to sale you after the fact... Sounds like a loose loose situation. If the store attendant became aware of the issue. Then noticed his fish had it they should have recommended to bring all your fish back so the whole group could be treated...

May I ask what store you purchased these fish from?

KaraWolf

No no no D: the whole tank was healthy and had been in quarantine for a week plus a few days before I picked them up. Those in the store had only just shown symptoms 2 days ago, nearly 5 days after I had taken them home. And I asked him what they were treating with so I could do it at home as well. I was going to use my home meds but they had something better then what I was sold at petco.

edit: currently that store tank is back under quarantine and being treated.