So would this be Dropsy!?

stierwalt3

I've had two Rustys go down with this in the last week without warning! One last weekend and now another today! :cry: I finished them both off with Clove oil...that stuff works great!

It's hard to tell in the pic,but it's very bloated as well it looks like it's insides are coming out of it's you know what!

hbluehunter

Not sure what it is but I lost one of my big red sevs the same way a few months back.. :( I'd like to know what it is also..

Betty

Staff member
It could also be bloat or "Malawi bloat". There are normally symptoms before it gets to that point though.

You didn't notice a lack of appetite or clearish, stringy looking poop?

JimA

Aggression plenty of fins nipped. But mine are the same sometimes. Over feeding/constipation, that anal looks like it's ready to burst.

Anthraxx

man jim i hope they arent.. hahaha seeing as ill be snagging em off you shortly... :p. sorry about your loss but id chalk it up to bloat as well. try adding more spirulina to your fish food. that or get food that meets mbuna's specific dietary needs.

Gryphon

Peas, if its constipation, chop up a pea or two and feed them it, it'll clean them out no problems.

stierwalt3

Betty said:
It could also be bloat or "Malawi bloat". There are normally symptoms before it gets to that point though.

You didn't notice a lack of appetite or clearish, stringy looking poop?
I didn't notice any signs,but now that you say that... I did notice a couple big almost white stringy turds floating around!

Anthraxx- Everythink I feed them is spirulina based but I'll try the pea thing!

Thanks guys and girls! :D

Anthraxx

hrmm thats odd then. no idea what it could be at this point. im still siding with the bloat issue. GL in combating it. really hope things work out for you.

larry.beck

Bloat is frequently induced by stress - the idea is that most/all mbuna have it, but when stressed they have less ability to deal with it. Certainly diet can play a part though - too much protein is simply bad for most of these guys.

Betty

Staff member
Keep an eye on the others and make sure they are eating, doing normal looking poop, and there's no other change in behavior. If it's bloat, it can spread to other fish in the tank.

Along with the peas to help relieve constipation, epsom salt might be of benefit. I think the recommended dose is 1 cup for 100 gallons.

If other fish show symptoms and the peas and/or epsom salt doesn't help, there is a lot of information out there about treating bloat.