so, im thinking the lane mountain sand has got to go

A

Anonymous

The reason for caps is to prevent dirt clouds or hold plants and dirt down. If you wanting to balance the color with the dirt. Go black gravel or black sand. Trust me you want the cap. If you got any cory cat type fish, they will spread dirt clouds every time they swim.

nick_76

I don't mind that. seems im the only one who likes the flour-fine consistency of lane mountain sand. in fact, im specifically looking for something fine grained for my corys and such..otherwise id go all fluorite, which does real well in my other tank

nick_76

im also thinking of the long term integrity of the strata...eventually theyre all gonna mix together, and there goes what I was looking for in the first place...

anderson_p_r

Ah, see my experience has been that you have to cap it.  One guy I who got some of my soil didn't have enough of a cap and he could not get the water to clear with water changes or filtration.  The cap is essential to a dirtied tank in my opinion.  

I guess I did the math different.  I figure your corner tank is roughly a 36"radius.  Being a corner tank it's roughly 1/4 of a circle.  The area of a circle with a 36" radius is around 28sqft, 1/4 that is about 7sqft.  25sqft would be a 2ftx12.5ft tank.  At 7sqft you'd be around $70, $180 less than you were thinking. :) Or, correct me if I'm wrong, it's been known to happen.

It's true burrowing critters can potentially mix the layers, a thicker cap helps but too thick isn't good for plants. I deal with this by abstaining from critters that would burrow into the sand. As far as the layers melding naturally? probably not going to happen. The way I process the soil it forms a super thick super dense layer, when it dries it's like a brick. I doubt the two would mix.

A

Anonymous

nick_76 said:
im also thinking of the long term integrity of the strata...eventually theyre all gonna mix together, and there goes what I was looking for in the first place...
The cap and soil wont mix unless you're constantly replanting and moving plants everday. Even if the cap gets mix and getting lesser (unlikely) you can always buy more black sand or gravel to cap it. But to each his own. Just advising since Im into dirted also. Love this black sh**! Walstad method is the best. Why, do you see mother nature putting ferts in water. No. Dirt is natural. Should of done all my planted dirt. For my 35gal I only used 1 bag cubic yard, I think to make 2 inches. For yor tank multiply. Good luck bro

nick_76

R= 34"
so the math for a quarter round would be
a=.25TT34^2
a= 907 in^2 /144= 6.3 feet

that's for a 1" layer, I said im doing 4"...soo either drop the .25 from the original equation, or multiply the result by 4, you come to the same answer

if the cap is essential, then dirt isn't for me...if im just gonna throw fluorite on top, why not just go all fluorite? works for my other tank...thing is, I want a soft bottom for my bottom dwellers

and as for the layers merging, it wouldn't happen naturally. I prefer to occasionally deep vac the open areas in my tank. as in all the way to the glass, help stir stuff up

A

Anonymous

Dirted might not be for you. Cap is essential cause prevents dirt cloudiness, hold plants securely, and when you water vac you just skim the top cap lightly to suck poop but I don't it goes back to the plants and in the dirt substrate (natural fert)

A

Anonymous

Look at LJ's dirted tank journal. Good info on how to proper dirting tanks.
I hope you go dirted.

http://www.wafishbox.com/t6679-lj-s-75-gallon-walstad-inspired-planted-tank

BillHN

This is really scaring me off of wanting to buy that sand. This is the one that was 100 lbs for 5 dorrah?

A

Anonymous

BillHN said:
This is really scaring me off of wanting to buy that sand. This is the one that was 100 lbs for 5 dorrah?
Dont be skared. I dont have problems with it. Look my africans like it. Its not good for plants cause no nutrients cant go through the fine sand..

iandraco

saw it online while i was doing a google search for white pfs. no one in my area caries it that i am aware of unfortunately. wish i could get my hands on some.

nick_76

yea bill..this was more like 7 or 8 dorrah at lowes....wes, your africans may love it, but my south americans hate it for what is likely very similar reasons

BillHN

isn't there some sand for sale in renton that's all black? 

And this shiz is scaring me away cause DIATOMS and stuffs = NO NO NOT PLANT WORTHY (even though I double dose excel and co2 :eek:)

nick_76

no to dirt. if I gotta have a cap its unacceptable to me. gonna do a mix of dark fluorite gravel+flourite sand. looks like to most feasible route

BillHN

SiRWesDragon said:
@ BillHN.  What tank size are you redesigning?
2x 4ft long tanks.
or 2x 40's.
Both dirted, gonna use LED's one finnex ray 2 most likely , other one 6500k's low wattage, one will be growout other will be display.

A

Anonymous

nick_76 said:
no to dirt. if I gotta have a cap its unacceptable to me. gonna do a mix of dark fluorite gravel+flourite sand. looks like to most feasible route
To each his own but damn costly. You make good dough anyway.

nick_76

u saw my math on dirt..it aint cheap either. I want a consistency like flour, but I guess it isn't in the cards

Lamental Jester

For dirt I use Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix.  $5 a bag, got five bags and it was more than enough for my 75 gallon tank, even after sifting it (sifting ended up removing about half of each bag)
Jan10asoilchoice_zpsb8f6c8eb.jpg