Shrimp racing for algae

Betty

Staff member
And they're off...

249_zpsuovjcgej.jpg

250_zpsxdrbwsns.jpg

251_zpsbfacafm4.jpg

I took an algae covered decoration from one tank and put it in the pleco tank. The shrimp wasted no time getting on it.

Betty

Staff member
I keep a 2.5gal stuffed with java moss with the light on 24/7 and I rotate algae covered moss into my shrimp tanks, shrimp go crazy for it even if there is other food in the tank.
Good idea. I like to put the algae covered rocks from other tanks in the pleco/shrimp tank, but the plecos usually eat it quickly. That wouldn't happen with moss.

Mike16T

Good idea. I like to put the algae covered rocks from other tanks in the pleco/shrimp tank, but the plecos usually eat it quickly. That wouldn't happen with moss.

Look at my recent post in my shrimp thread, I got a swarm of shrimps and snails on the Algae stick.. ^_^

Betty

Staff member
Look at my recent post in my shrimp thread, I got a swarm of shrimps and snails on the Algae stick.. ^_^
So I see! :)
My shrimp are pests in my pleco tank -- a by-product of a plant or something I bought at a gsas auction, so they don't get any special foods. They do eat a wide variety of foods that my plecos get though. They like everything from their staple nls pellets to avocado to watermelon! And I swear I see them handling pleco poop too!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
So I see! :)
My shrimp are pests in my pleco tank -- a by-product of a plant or something I bought at a gsas auction, so they don't get any special foods. They do eat a wide variety of foods that my plecos get though. They like everything from their staple nls pellets to avocado to watermelon! And I swear I see them handling pleco poop too!

Pleco poo too? Woo!