Setting Up A Grow Out Tank-Starting With Severums/Guppies

lymitliss

I figured since we all enjoy fish/tank pictures I might as well post one of the many things I've been working on this week.
I recently ordered some Severums with the intent to put them in my 300g, but after seeing them arrive to the store I quickly realized they were way too small to be in with the other fish at this time. Remembering I still had an extra 55g tank, I decided the best thing to do would be to set it up with the basics and begin a grow out tank.
Not wanting to go all out on what is essentially an extra tank that I don't plan to use all too often, I washed and reused the sand and coral I had in that tank previously. I was also able to find the lids/led lights from the original tank set up. Unfortunately the extra heater I had turned out to be broken, so I replaced it with an Eheim. For this setup I opted for the basic sponge filter which is running off a new air pump. Originally I had no intention of planting this tank, however I have a plant that is multiplying like crazy, so I may move some of the sprouts over to this tank.

As of right now I have 2 Gold Severums, 2 Rotkeil and a handful of guppies. I plan to move the Severums into the 300g as soon as possible, the guppies I'm going to keep in here just for fun. Here are some not so exciting pictures of what I've done so far (Keep in mind I'm in the middle of a remodel and had to place the tank on the hearth to allow for the floors to be finished, it will not stay there forever)-

20160203_152747_zpswrfytcnv.jpg

20160203_170242_zpsdenuzazf.jpg

20160203_220347_zpslsstx9gw.jpg

20160203_220311_zpsjiiosuyo.jpg

20160203_170207_zpsphmyiwom.jpg

20160203_173407_zpsamxp5cse.jpg

20160203_182841_zps9c9bpx8s.jpg

Betty

Staff member
I like that your fish are buckled in! I do that too. I have a styrofoam cooler that I put the bag in and that's buckled up in the seat.

lymitliss

I've been meaning to keep some sort of container in my car but I never seem to remember. Fortunately I don't live far from Aquarium Co-Op :rofl

lymitliss

Severums seem to be settling in nicely, even getting a little territorial. Their colors have changed quite a bit too. Starting to see some dark stripes on a couple of them.