Sera heater

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I recently decided to get a new heater for my 29g. I currently have a 100w Hydor that seems to always stay on to keep the temp up. Part of the issue may be the Marineland LED hood and Penguin 350 HOB filter leave a lot of areas exposed and do not have a tight fitting seal. I also get a lot of evaporation out of this tank. then again it is only rated for up to 26g. This heater will get moved into a 20L with a tight fitting glass top, so I'm sure it will do better in there.

I purchase my equipment on-line so price is a big deal to me. I found cheaper heaters but I found the features of this heater worth the few extra dollars. It is a typical glass heater, no big deal there. What does set it apart is that it is small for the wattage. My 200w is not only small in diameter but only 11.8" long. The 300w are like 13.8". So a fairly compact heater. The other feature I like is that they come with a snap together heater guard. This is well built and fits nicely around the heater to prevent burns on your fish. Since the tank its going in has bristlenose pleco growing out in it I thought this was a nice feature. Probably a good choice too if you have large boisterous cichlids! Price was not too bad at $19.45 with $4.95 shipping. I remembered I had a credit with the company so I got it for much cheaper. It is rated for 26-66 gallons.

Here is where I got the Sera heater from: http://www.aquacave.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=690

Heaters to me are all pretty much the same but the real test now will be durability and ease of use. Sera I believe is a German company like Jager. I will post later my thoughts on performance but for now here is what comes in the box.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Follow up after one week.

The heater went in and have had no issues. It was extremely easy to set. It has a gauge on the front that as you turn the dial above it shows the temp setting. It came set at 79 and I gave it a slight boost to around 81 and it is holding the temp beautifully. This gauge is not accurate to the thermometer which reads 78, but it is still a nice feature to help you.

No confusion on the Sera as to if you are raising or lowering the temp. The little Hydor and some others Ive used have very difficult markings and it really is hard to distinguish if you are raising or lowering the temp.

The heater barely comes on and only stays on a little while as opposed to the Hydor that never shut off. This does make me feel better. The Hydor was a little underrated for the 29g but I still expected it to shut off sometimes and it never did. I am moving this into a 20L with a tight fitting glass top so I will see how it does in there.

I appreciated the build of the Sera even more when I pulled the Hydor out. The Hydor has a much thinner glass than the Sera. So far Im happy with this choice in heater and would recommend it to others.