Seattle area Tap Water okay for Shrimp?

TwoTanks

Hello - I'm new to the forum. I have experience with fish, but I'm trying to breed shrimp for the first time. I plan on getting crystal red, crystal black, and blue bolt shrimp for my tank and was wondering if tap water in the Seattle are is okay for these shrimp or should I get RO water? I live in Kenmore specifically. Also, wanted to know where in the Seattle area I can get my hands on some of these. Thanks!

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Yes, Puget Sound area water is shrimp friendly. You should be able to find shrimp at Aquarium Coop, Midway Pets, Aquarium Zen, The Fish Store. Maybe more.

TwoTanks

Thank you for the reply! Do you know if chili rasboras work well as fish with a breeding colony?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Thank you for the reply! Do you know if chili rasboras work well as fish with a breeding colony?

Yes, any peaceful, small fish should be good. I have guppy’s in with mine. I’m moving zebra danios out though as I think they are feeding on the shrimp fry.

TwoTanks

New question lol. Is it bad to mix Crystal red, crystal black, blue bolt, king kong red, and king kong black all in one tank?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
New question lol. Is it bad to mix Crystal red, crystal black, blue bolt, king kong red, and king kong black all in one tank?
I’m not a shrimp guy as I do big cichlids, but I did dabble in shrimp a couple of years ago in my kids bathroom nano tank and from my brief experience I just have a word of caution.... mine started mixing and breeding and by the time I was done, all of the colors were muted and or a brownish color. I couldn’t even give them away as no one wanted hybrids.... I ended up feeding like 100 mutt shrimp to my baby cichlids.

with the types you mentioned, I am not familiar with them enough, but it might happen in your case as well.

TwoTanks

I’m not a shrimp guy as I do big cichlids, but I did dabble in shrimp a couple of years ago in my kids bathroom nano tank and from my brief experience I just have a word of caution.... mine started mixing and breeding and by the time I was done, all of the colors were muted and or a brownish color. I couldn’t even give them away as no one wanted hybrids.... I ended up feeding like 100 mutt shrimp to my baby cichlids.

with the types you mentioned, I am not familiar with them enough, but it might happen in your case as well.

I feel like I will have the same experience lol. I'll follow your lead and put the hybrids in my puffer tank for a tasty snack.