Resealing a glasses tank. HELP!

InfamousRedlineZ

Hey guys! I finally found a tank I really like but the seal on it looks really bad and is chipping silicone. I was wondering if anyone around Renton area or so know how to reseal the tank. I was looking on DIY on YouTube. I feel like I would mess up if the silicone isn't think enough or not doing something the proper way. I don't mind paying for someone to help out. Please let me know. Thank you

IMG_7128.JPG IMG_7129.JPG

L190

nice tank. I have only re-silicone small tanks such as 10 gallons, not sure if i have the skills to do a bigger tank. My tip to you is make sure you remove the old silicone really well, alcohol helps soften the silicone, since silicone won't bond to itself. If you like clean silicone lines, use masking tape to outline the area you want to seal.

InfamousRedlineZ

It's stated as 100 but I think it's bigger. The dimension that was told is 28 in front to back and 4 ft wide.

Haven't picked it up yet because if I can't reseal it I can't use it haha.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
It's stated as 100 but I think it's bigger. The dimension that was told is 28 in front to back and 4 ft wide.

Haven't picked it up yet because if I can't reseal it I can't use it haha.

Wow. Gorgeous. I even like the stand (which is rare for me). Could re-sealing a tank be that big of a deal??? I have no idea.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Hey guys! I finally found a tank I really like but the seal on it looks really bad and is chipping silicone. I was wondering if anyone around Renton area or so know how to reseal the tank. I was looking on DIY on YouTube. I feel like I would mess up if the silicone isn't think enough or not doing something the proper way. I don't mind paying for someone to help out. Please let me know. Thank you

View attachment 3833 View attachment 3834

The most important thing is to get ALL the old silicone off the inside of the tank, so there is only a very thin layer left between the glass panes (obviously you can't remove that). Use a sharp razor blade to do this, then remove any residual silicone scrapings, and clean all the surfaces thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol. Let it dry thoroughly before applying new silicone. Silicone sticks to glass; it does not stick to already-cured silicone

You'll need at least two 10 fl. oz. tubes of high quality aquarium sealant for a tank this size- the Aqueon product is available through Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002ASD34/?tag=wafishbox-20). You will also need to buy a calking gun. With a little practice, you will be able to lay a nice uniform bead of sealant along each seam. Do the whole tank at once, before any of the seams have cured. Let it dry thoroughly before doing a leak test (outdoors!) Good luck.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
The most important thing is to get ALL the old silicone off the inside of the tank, so there is only a very thin layer left between the glass panes (obviously you can't remove that). Use a sharp razor blade to do this, then remove any residual silicone scrapings, and clean all the surfaces thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol. Let it dry thoroughly before applying new silicone. Silicone sticks to glass; it does not stick to already-cured silicone

You'll need at least two 10 fl. oz. tubes of high quality aquarium sealant for a tank this size- the Aqueon product is available through Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002ASD34/?tag=wafishbox-20). You will also need to buy a calking gun. With a little practice, you will be able to lay a nice uniform bead of sealant along each seam. Do the whole tank at once, before any of the seams have cured. Let it dry thoroughly before doing a leak test (outdoors!) Good luck.

Amazing assistance. Thank you. <3