reef led lights for planted tank

L190

Hi All,
I'm thinking of replacing my lights on my 125 gallon planted tank. The tank is 72" long which makes a pain to find the right lighting for it. I was wondering if anyone has run those led pendant lights for reef tanks on their planted tanks? If so, what are your experience with plant growth? What are your likes / dislikes?

L190

i have easy to grow plants right now but thinking of moving into harder to grow plants. In addition i want to make the tank pop more without spending an arm and a leg. I am thinking of getting this light from amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/VIPARSPECT/?tag=wafishbox-20 The spectrum doesn't look too bad. Another option would be the AI Prime HD which will allow me to dial in the light spectrum i want but it cost $225 each (need 3 for my tank). For the second option to be a reality i would need to turn in a lot of fish and plants to a LFS for me to get it.

L190

hmm interesting, wafishbox doesn't allow me to post the amazon link. It is the viparspectra full spectrum on amazon if you want to search for it

Wenzoui

Lol at that price I think you should go with sbreef fw lights. Much better spectrum but you just missed the 10% off deal. I also like bml lights if you can find them.

L190

Lol at that price I think you should go with sbreef fw lights. Much better spectrum but you just missed the 10% off deal. I also like bml lights if you can find them.
yeah if i had the cash i would go get the Sbreef lights. I don't think if i send the company tons of plants and fish they would give me those lights.
I think i'll have to try my luck with the viparspectra lights and see if that will work. It is the cheaper alternative out of all the choices.

clownie

Hi All,
I'm thinking of replacing my lights on my 125 gallon planted tank. The tank is 72" long which makes a pain to find the right lighting for it. I was wondering if anyone has run those led pendant lights for reef tanks on their planted tanks? If so, what are your experience with plant growth? What are your likes / dislikes?
I use one of those"china black box" LED units over my 60 gallon planted cube. Works great. I have been running it for about 8 months now. i had it left over from my old reef keeping days. It looks a lot like the light you're looking into except more blue spectrum lighting then red.

L190

I use one of those"china black box" LED units over my 60 gallon planted cube. Works great. I have been running it for about 8 months now. i had it left over from my old reef keeping days. It looks a lot like the light you're looking into except more blue spectrum lighting then red.
do you have pictures of your tank? I plan to dial down the blues to avoid it being too blue

clownie

do you have pictures of your tank? I plan to dial down the blues to avoid it being too blue
49ec6fa3e1167cb6649b072315d87f8c.jpg
78c4dee0c5962dd622ec439c2950a9af.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

clownie

It's 55-3watt leds two channels about 20 blue, 17 10K , some reds and greens. Running white channel at about 60% and blues about 20.

L190

Thanks I just bought one and will decide if I want to use them to replace my current light

L190

Viparspectra hopefully it gives me the par I need and the light spread is pretty good. Not sure if par is the same with corals but the picture amazon has with par value looks pretty crazy