red thingy

dondud

Ok, my previous angelfish which died, i noticed a red coloration at the bottom of its pectoral fin. Now the other angel is showing re coloration at the same spot.

I had the water tested at Petsmart yesterday and they said everything looked good. for some reason, i am not abel to post pics..

alexmuw

Red streaks in fin (blood) could be bacterial infection. Could also be a number of other things.

Pics would be the best option.

dondud

for some reason, it is not letting me upload pics..
its not streaks on the fin. it is more of like red coloration encircling at the bottom of one of the fin.

sandnuka

what problem are you having uploading pics? Are you trying the host an image icon, then copy the URL and paste to the image icon???? Or are you tryin to upload an image to the site??

I found just doin the host image thing always works, and its easy once you figure it out..... cause we defintly need to get visuals on the stuff you been posting on. Its to hard to diagnose with only a description.

dondud

When i try to attach the photo i took, it says max capacity. the size of my pic is only 232kb.
on the page where i try to attach my pic, it says the "max size per file: 0mb"

it give me this message...

"Uploaded file is not valid: exceeded attachment maxsize (0 kB)."

sandnuka

ok... you need to not try to upload it.... try and do the host an image thingy..... on the quick reply there is icons.... starting with "B" for bold.... the 6th icon in has a picture with a disk on it.... its "host an image" .... find your image from that and click host.... then copy the URL on the bottom.... and past it on the 7th icon in... it has a picture on it, and says "image" when you hover over it with a mouse..... click on that and paste the URL in there..... it should do it :)

sandnuka

Betty said:
This is how I figured it out -- I don't normally post my pictures this way -- I use an off-site host. Photobucket. It's very simple and easy.

I don't have an account with servimg, so it might work differently, but this is how I did it.

Don't use the quick reply, use the other Reply button.

Click on the img button first.
Then select file and click browse. Then you navigate to your picture folder on your computer.
5df1d18b.jpg

Select the picture you want to post and click open at the bottom of that picture folder. Then click Host it.
ed5fb171.jpg

It will bring this up. Highlight the Image code and I had to manually copy it with a right click of the mouse.
Then paste it into the reply box.
aa7678c9.jpg

I had to click preview after each image to get that box out of the way! Maybe it's easier if you have an account, but I hope this helps.

I find Photobucket to be so much easiser!!

icer711

hey sand why dont you just move that to the how to up load picts thread? or make it a new sticky? think this is the second time to day we have needed it :D... props to betty

dondud

YES. i took the water to petco before i put the fish in it and they said everything was ok. So i am wondering.

alexmuw

What were the numbers?

Nitrates are USUALLY safe, but some fish have problems with nitrates over 40ppm.

I would do a 50% water change and add aquarium salt (NaCl) @ 1 tablespoon/5 gal

dondud

i actually didnt ask for the number. I will go again and ask them. They normally check it against the chart, dont think they have like a number to it.

alexmuw

I would invest in a good test kit. The liquid tests are the most accurate.

Get the essentials: pH, ammonia, nitrate. The kits last for a couple years and are necessary to diagnose any problems with fish.

sandnuka

alexmuw said:
I would invest in a good test kit. The liquid tests are the most accurate.

Get the essentials: pH, ammonia, nitrate. The kits last for a couple years and are necessary to diagnose any problems with fish.
Agree with this statement 100% .... if you dont have the money to invest in a 32 dollar master test kit (liquid drops) itleast get the 5 in 1 test strips... they arent nearly as accurate, but itleast it will give you an idea.

Fern

I use the tetra laborett, good kit and a few dollars cheaper than the master.

Don't get test strips they are a waste of money.

sandnuka

fern - ya think there better than nothing though right fern??? When I started the hobby I only knew about test strips... and I it kept my PH high for africans, low for New worlds, and gave me an idea if nitrates were too high/low. You gotta agree they are better than nothing.... but yeah, tetra laboett, or master test are the best way to go, and are super accurate to really determine problems, etc.

Fern

If Don can take water into a store for tests easily it would be better to save the money and get a proper kit.
If its a big pain to take water to get tested then yes get the smallest pack of strips and then get a real kit.

dondud

actually the fish seem to be doing fine.
the redness has actually become a little bit lighter.

thanks guys. wonder what happened