Raising calvus fry

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I like those and the Cyrtocara moorii (blue dolphin moorii). But that is a secret no one is supposed to know.

Betty

Staff member
Donna, they do take a lot of patience since they are such slow growers.  I got these in a group buy on this forum a long, long time ago.  Seems like it's been forever.

DMD, not a clear picture, but this is probably what you mean?  They are always doing this.  
011_zpse2da66c1.jpg

Madness, I used to have a D. compressiceps.  They kind of remind me of calvus only much bigger. Very cool with a narrow compressed body and big mouth. You should like them too.   :D 
I wish I had a way to make these calvus grow faster and you could take some.  They are the white chaitika.

In this picture, you can see the fry on the rock.  Adults don't seem to care.  
009_zpsa73f5aba.jpg

I still hold my breath every time I go check on them; afraid that they will start dying for some reason.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Betty said:
DMD, not a clear picture, but this is probably what you mean?  They are always doing this.  
011_zpse2da66c1.jpg
Yep, thats it.

Betty

Staff member
Recent pics.  
094_zps55c946b2.jpg

044_zps4a5f5a56.jpg

042_zpsb33830be.jpg

Not sure what I'm going to do with these.  They are outgrowing their nursery and I don't have room for any more tanks.  :(

A

Anonymous

They are out there just now advertising it or log on. I'm still in african cichlids just through my friend denizaari. I know freddieb and NYK are african cichlid keepers.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
At what point do they develop the classic shape? They dont really exhibit the tall body typical of the adult yet. These are one of my all time favorite Africans. Still goes back to the fact they are so little is what holds me back.

Madness

Staff member
Looking great Betty. I am sure you mentioned it already but what type of Calvus are they? I would be interested in about 3 for my son. In the flood and the transfer of the tanks, he took the biggest hit. His tank is the only African tank and I had no where to put up another tank, so I asked DRD and he housed them for me. But in all the transferring and bucket living until they got there and then when they returned, he lost 6 fish. a WC black Calvus WC white Calvus a compressisep,Tangerine tiger male, a blue eyed brichardi thing, and something else

Betty

Staff member
I'm not sure how long it takes, but a friend's comp took about 6 - 7 months to start getting that adult shape. These are really slow growers!

Madness, they are white (Chaitika). If you have a small tank to grow them out, you are welcome to some. They are tiny little things right now.

Betty

Staff member
I was away from my tanks for about 4 months, only checking on them once or twice a week, so I had a lot of losses of these fry. I was able to get a few of them into my pleco/shrimp tank and hoped they would be able to find baby shrimp to eat. Not only did they eat the babies -- they wiped out the entire population! Three of them are good sized and they look like adults now.

107_zpsdbfddab1.jpg

048_zps93fcb8a9.jpg

047_zps7fd46dac.jpg

I know the parents spawned at least one more time, but I wasn't able to try to save any fry. Maybe next time.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Beautiful! I recently picked up one on a whim. It's currently living in a 40g. With two brichardi. Mine isn't as fancy as yours looks. Mines more yellow brown ( I only bought it because it was being chased by some frontosas in the same tank). I really like how calm and tranquil that little tank is compared to my big american brutes