quick question for the pros

discus_2013

Hey so I have been thinking of dipping into the saltwater aquarium,I have researched and all that fun stuff, I plan on doing a bare bottom fish only (and live rock) tank but everything I read says Ph is in the 8+ range and my Ph sits at 6.5 So my question is do I fill my setup and adjust the Ph then add salt or does the addition of salt boost the Ph? My main thing is I don't want to be adjusting the Ph all the time so that is kind of the deciding factor on whether or not I start a saltwater tank, any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
The combination of live rock, which essentially non crushed coral, and the buffers in the salt will get your pH very high no problemo.

A

Anonymous

discus_2013 said:
Hey so I have been thinking of dipping into the saltwater aquarium,I have researched and all that fun stuff, I plan on doing a bare bottom fish only (and live rock) tank but everything I read says Ph is in the 8+ range and my Ph sits at 6.5 So my question is do I fill my setup and adjust the Ph then add salt or does the addition of salt boost the Ph? My main thing is I don't want to be adjusting the Ph all the time so that is kind of the deciding factor on whether or not I start a saltwater tank, any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Isn't this what they call " FOWLR " ? Fish Only With Live Rock...

Anthraxx

also i know a lot of the salt water stores will sell you premixed water. may be something to look at to keep water changes nice and even once u finally get it all settled.

hyp3rcrav3

When I finally do go into a saltwater reef tank I will be using the Jaubert Method AKA Monoco Method. Once I discovered this, I knew it would be simple and not very expensive, unlike the Berlin Method. What a surprize!