Question-Possible to base 72g bow on a single Cyrtocara moorii?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Thanks hose91! like Ive said Im not quick to change out and do a ton of research before any change happens. I do appreciate the info and link.

hose91

You bet. I'm on the puffer research track that you took, and I appreciate the time and effort you put into that tank and setup for Scruffy. I feel like I did that sort of due dilligence in setting up and stocking my Mbuna tank. I like the African "colony" style of fish keeping, and although I appreciate the big CA/SA fish, that wouldn't be my thing (at least not currently), but that seems to be the beauty of this particular hobby. The flexibiilty to be a lot of different things depending on what you keep and how you keep it, and the ability to add and/or change what you do certainly makes it interesting and keeps it fresh!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
hose91 said:
I'm on the puffer research track that you took, and I appreciate the time and effort you put into that tank and setup for Scruffy.
Any ideas what you are interested in? I would love a Fahaka but dont have any spare 120+ gallon tanks right now...  :lmfao: 

hose91

So, great question.  I have a 40B and a 20L that I have permission to put in our living room, so I'm planning on building a dual tank stand out of hardwood.  I would like a puffer tank and a Tanganynikan tank, so the options are many and varied since both kinds of fish can fit into either tank.  On the puffer side, Ideally I'd like to house 2 or 3 smaller (2-4") with something else.  I KNOW there are NO community puffers, but it does seem to be possible.  Problem is that I think DP's are too small, F8's seem about right but are brackish (so plants and WC's are harder), and GSP's are full marine.  SAPs might fit the bill, but aren't true tetraodons (and I think have more teeth issues?).  Plus, I am not sure what all is available.  I had full intentions of seeking you out when I was a little closer to getting the tanks set up and picking your brain.  I liked the video of your hairy, and I could see keeping a solo in either the 20L or the 40B, although as discussed earlier, I tend towards liking groups of fish that will occasionally interact or are just fun to watch. As you can see from my avatar, I have the large pet thing already covered. He is not technically a wet pet, unless you count the ever present drool! The Tang community likewise can be adjusted to fit into either tank.  I'm in Kitsap, so don't get to the LFS's very often, but have been to the Fish Store, Sierra-Renton, and Denny's in the last couple of months (though not always looking at puffers).  I did the Wet Spot back in april, before I had the puffer itch.  I get their weekly update though, and always look through their online list on Fridays or Saturday ( that's where I got my 33 Mbuna and 5 Syno Petricolas).  Would love to hear your thoughts on other species, availability, and anything else you learned or are learning.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I went with a lurker type puffer due to the fact they are mostly piscivores and pretty much dont have to worry much about the overgrown teeth thing as much. Most in fact may not even eat snails. The ones I researched were the Hairy, Congo, Arrowhead and Dragon (or Humpback). They are all pretty similar in care and behavior. The Congo and arrowheads tend to bury themselves so you really never 'see' them. The Humpback has a cool pattern but tends to hide a lot. So that kind of left the Hairy as the best choice. I dont use sand so it does not bury itself. It sits out in the open even though I have provided it caves.

As to finding them, well APFP in Burien has a Congo but one of the bland tan color ones. If it were the bright red, I might have changed my mind. I ended up just ordering mine from The wet Spot. It was $70 and $20 for shipping. I asked for the 'hairiest' one they had and I was happy with the one I was sent. He is pretty hairy looking.

Another thing Ive considered, on the topic of my 72g, is to deck it out as a big hairy puffer home...

Betty

Staff member
I've been on Cichlid-Forum since 2005. I can't believe it's been that long.  :shock: There are a lot of good articles in the library there. African Cichlid Articles

DMD, I haven't given up hope that you will keep Africans one day!  :D But it's good that you are researching thoroughly.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Betty said:
DMD, I haven't given up hope that you will keep Africans one day!  :D But it's good that you are researching thoroughly.  
Confession time, I had some when I raised fish as a teenager. I just raised them for a little while and then ended up taking them back to the fish store when they got a bit bigger. I did not keep them that long so I never really had the full experience. I think I had a few mumba and I know I had a brichardi. I actually took in a little blue dolphin that had its tail shredded and nursed it back to health and took it back to the store.

I was always more interested in the centrals so I never really pursued the Africans.  :( 

Anthraxx

i know you guys love your big fish, but let me tell you nothing gave me more enjoyment then watching what i called "Shells of our lives". the dramas and interactions between the super tiny little guys was always hilarious. and i guarantee they have more spunk then even some of your monster wet pets. what im trying to get at is that africans can be great with only one, but its sooo much more interesting watching them develope their own relationships. its the group as a whole that interests me and not so much one individual fish, (but yes i do have a favorite of course! :) )

Madness

Staff member
:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: 

:superpuke: :superpuke: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: 

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So this topic is on hold for a little while. Im not changing out the stock in this tank for a bit.