question on aggression

Spyral

I have a breeding pair of Convicts. They are in my SA tank. They have a bunch of fry right now and are defending them like mad from my other fish. I set up a new tank for the Convicts, I am giving them their own tank so they can breed all they want and I can feed the babies to my Ornatum and Festae. My question is, if I remove the Convicts and put them in the new tank,. but leave their babies in the SA tank to be eaten, will the male beat up on the female in their new home when the babies don't appear? I have heard that the male may become very aggressive towards the female if their babies suddenly disappear.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

HALP

Meh they could but they prob will be to stressed from being moved so i wouldnt worry about it.

Fyurae

My advice is always to just do the move when you have time to keep an eye on them. If there gets to be a problem you can always split them up.

Madness

Staff member
Convicts are not that way. Not like a lot of the larger Cichlids. You should be just fine. I have raised thousands of Convict fry.

Spyral

I moved the parents out last night, put them in their new home. The Festae and Ornatum swept in and devoured the fry with the parents gone. The Convicts seem just fine, no aggression on the part of either fish, so that was cool. Now they just need to get to making babies..er..food for my other fish!