Question about aquarium zen

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Since I didn't want to muddle up the reviews page, yet I had some questions , I thought I would ask in the lounge..

Is the a planted tank only type of store? I've never heard of it before ( maybe because I'm into large cichlids) but was wondering what they carried.

Spen_g said they had a good selection. What does the selection consist of? Also, since you go there with your dad, what does he typically pick up there?

I'm always looking for new stores to visit but if they don't cater to my interests than its not really worth the trip. I could probably use a this store compares to this store in selection ( withAPFP being the old standard for large cichlids)

Anyone out there have any input / thoughts

Bob

I have been once, it is a really nice store but i would say definitely geared more towards planted tanks. I dont recall seeing any larger cichlids. Some dwarf cichlids but mainly smaller fish, they did have a really good selection of not your everyday fish when i was there.

ziggyzoo

I have been twice. They only had maybe 8 types of fish randomly scattered around when I was there. It's for sure a store for planted tanks, mostly they sell just plants. They have a few fish a couple rocks like 1 type of light or so, and like fancy expensive glass intake outtake tubes. I thought it was veryyyy expensive. $15 for a 2x2 of moss.

Ali

I've only been there once, but even if you aren't likely to buy much it w as still cool to look around. Everything is aquascaped to the hilt, it looks more like a fine art gallery that happens to sell fish then a typical store. Don't remember many large cichlids, mostly small community stuff and gobs of plants.

It's quite close to where I live, just never seem to make it in there.

tcp2

They probably carry at least 50 different kinds of fish. Mostly geared towards aquatic gardening and the equipment that is necessary to set up an Amano type tank, but absolutely worth the drive to see a store that nothing else North of San Francisco looks like. Probably even nicer than the Amano store in San Francisco. The prices are very reasonable.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Cool, I'll need to check it out just for the sake of checking it out.

Bob

Rodger Rabbit said:
Some prices on these plants have an OMG factor but most are reasonalble for what they are.

I agree, the prices seemed very reasonable to me for what it is. Some people may have sticker shock just because they are not familiar with the product.

ziggyzoo

Ya I dunno, I buy the $5 Anubis at petco cause it's all I can keep alive. Also dennys pet world in Kirkland for sure has the cheapest plants for sale. And they just redid the whole plant tank! They don't have Christmas mosses though. eBay spmetimes has good deals but I don't know if anyone's ever bought plants off ebay lol

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Ziggy, I have a couple of contacts for plants if you're interested message me and I can give you their info :)

ziggyzoo

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Ziggy, I have a couple of contacts for plants if you're interested message me and I can give you their info :)
Thanks but I got a bowfront tank now with a hood so the light isn't great and I'm selling my co2 I think I'm just gunna go minimal plants for easiest matinence. Thanks though :)