Ps. acei (yellow tail)

A

Anonymous

So I thought I would star a new thread since I'm no longer in the planning process and I actually have these guys now. Just a few things first there will be pics in a sec, second is this amount of rock ok for them? (Dang planted tank guys got me thinking all funny) Probably for 1 month 2 max, just till I get the pearsei into there tank. And also which bulb to you prefer. Its a tough one for me because the purple light makes there colors pop a bit, but the white looks brighter and more natural. So let me know hat you think..

2010-09-25180143.jpg

2010-09-25181535.jpg

2010-09-25192743.jpg

All of the fish seem happy.... oh and one has no stripes most of the time and the other three always do. Thanks for looking.

Anthony,

Mikey

I think they'd be a little more happier with a few more rocks. Wouldn't hurt for aesthetic reasons either. Nice looking tank and fish Anthony! :beer:

larry.beck

Actinic really makes my yellow tails pop.

For the acei's the rocks are alright - they're open-water swimmers anyway. But as soon as you add another species you'll need to radically change the rock-scape.

Looking nice though. Are they shoaling in the tank now? :)

A

Anonymous

Yes the are always shoaling together, it pretty cool they are like rummy nose tetras, really tight shoal all the time. Something else I noticed is that up on top of the bigest piece of petrified wood there one of the fish goes up there and shimmers sometimes. Pretty odd behavior, any thoughts?

Betty

Staff member
That shimmering is normal behavior for mbuna. It's either a display of dominance, like he's showing the others he has claimed that chunk of wood or he's inviting a female to come check it out.

It probably wouldn't hurt to have two separate rocked areas, one on each side, with open swimming area in the center.

A

Anonymous

So I liked Bettys idea of having two rocky areas, so I got these other two pieces of petrified wood I have and put them on the other side. They are a difrent kind of petrified wood then the other 4 pieces they have a lot of orange in them rather then just grey with the wood grain. Adventualy I will be using the 4 in a small planted tank probably 5 gallon but for now they are just with the acei. Anyway here's a pic of how it looks now.

2010-09-26200506.jpg

Oh and for some reason these guys are acting a little skittish. When I come up to the tank to feed and watch they are all darting under rocks. I will stay there for about 10 minutes before they come out, unless its feeding time and then they come out after I add the food. Does anyone know why this might be happening? Thanks for looking.

Anthony,

Addictedtofish

I have 6 in my mbuna/peacock tank, Ive never seen any schoaling action out of them in the 3 months ive had them. They seem to act less aggressive compared to the other fish in the tank and occupy all areas of the tank. My opinion there skittishness will go away in time but since there more of a peaceful cichlid compared to other malawi fish it may take a bit. Not sure if your planning on keeping the tank species only, but if you add another species that a lil more aggressive you will see them coming right up to the glass in no time and they seem like the rest to follow you around the glass. I like to take my finger on the glass and move it around and they fish seem to follow it, kind of funny.

Caton

Thats a big rock.

Nice! I plan on getting some acei, yellow labs, and some morri for my soon to come 75g tank :)

Betty

Staff member
Tank looks nice! I like the additional rocks. I agree that they probably just need a little time to get used to their new surroundings. How many of them do you have?

After they get to know you, they will be begging for food every time you walk by the tank.

A

Anonymous

Its a 20 long.. it only temp. They will go into a 45 long in a month or so.