Potential New Tank - Help me understand...

hose91

So, I've got an acrylic 75G that has a ton of crazing in it, and it's getting worse. Not sure what's causing it, but it worries me, and this is the only display tank in the house (upstairs at that), and so I've been on the lookout for a replacement. I found this on craigslist recently: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/for/5505804462.html

I like that it's an upgrade to 90G for my Mbuna, I wanted a canopy and stand for in the house, it comes with an FX5, the curved glass front seems pretty cool and he's been pretty responsive via email. However, this tank has a corner overflow, and has been drilled on the bottom. I've not ever had that before, and asked for some extra pics. This setup is up on Whidbey, which isn't out of the question for me, but is definitely a haul (and a ferry ride), so I'd like to understand what I'm going to see. Here are a couple of shots he sent me of the plumbing.

[GALLERY=media, 101]Corner overflow by hose91 posted Mar 26, 2016 at 8:25 AM[/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=media, 99]Under overflow by hose91 posted Mar 26, 2016 at 8:25 AM[/GALLERY]

He tells me he ran the input and return to the FX5 through this overflow. I'm looking for some expert help on how this setup works and if it's reasonable. Assuming the input is inside the corner overflow, does the waterflow into the corner keep up with the intake down to the filter? The return could (should) be run out to the main tank? Any "gotchas" to look at regarding the bulkheads? Do they wear, are they susceptible to leaking? Holes in the bottom of my tank worry me :)

The plus side is that I could eventually convert this to a sump, should I desire that. I currently run two Eheim classic canisters, and I'm not sure how I would convert them to this system (except just ignore the overflow by capping the bulkheads). Any help from the experienced fish room folks out there on what I'm looking at and if it's a reasonable setup?

Some of the other pics...
[GALLERY=media, 100]Stand open by hose91 posted Mar 26, 2016 at 8:25 AM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 98]Canopy Open by hose91 posted Mar 26, 2016 at 8:25 AM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 103]Under stand - backside by hose91 posted Mar 26, 2016 at 8:25 AM[/GALLERY]

Appreciate any and all input, thanks a ton!!

Bob

Seems pretty standard. @lymitliss has a similar setup with overflows running into the intake of an fx5. I wouldnt be too worried about leaking as this has been done a million times successfully. You can see the input is inside the overflow, the pipe with the shape in it. That black spot should be a hole that helps air escape and minimizes noise, should be pretty quiet. I personally would use a sump, they are just so flexible on what you can do. I use my sumps like "frag" tanks but for freshwater. Growing out anubias, mosses, crypts, i also have shrimp colonies living in my sumps =)

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Basically gotta make sure they overflow can never run dry or your canister filter will stop. So either need to drill a couple holes down low on the overflow or just never let the water level go down that far.

By the way if you end up selling a beat up 75 gallon acrylic. I'm in the market for a turtle tank :D

hose91

Ok, thanks for the input guys. seems like it would be a workable setup. Eventually I think a sump is in my future, but for now this will be OK. I will probably see what shakes out of the GSAS auction first.

@Cory , this is a 75G "tall", in that it's only 15" deep vice the normal 18" front to back. I'll let you know for sure if it goes on the market!!